Does Anyone Have Contacts With A Business With an Import Permit to Import Fresh Live Rock From Indonesia?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend in Bali would like to start supplying live rock after I told him that rock from Australia goes for $25/lb which is slightly expensive imo. He wouldn't control the ultimate price for consumers but it would have at least as much biodiversity as anything from anywhere in Australia in all honesty, not to mention the beautiful coralline of different shades that fully covers it. I'm not looking for individuals, if anyone knows a business with an import permit DM me. These are only a few sample pieces to give you an idea what it looks like.
Screenshot_2023-03-28-18-55-53-645_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-03-27-19-01-18-376_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-03-26-22-17-36-760_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-03-26-20-55-34-144_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To import live rock into the United States, a CITES export permit from the exporting country is required. He needs to get a CITES export permit from the Indonesian government if he wants to export to the United States.
Yes, that's what I meant by the "proper documentation and licensing".

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not mistaken, live rock is classified the same as coral so the same permit should apply to most coral species as well.

AP Fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's what I meant by the "proper documentation and licensing".

Your friend himself has to get the permit. The permit would be issued to him and the specific specimens he is exporting. It is not something obtainable by the importing company. His company needs to obtain the CITES permit from the Indonesian CITES management authority.

If I'm not mistaken, live rock is classified the same as coral so the same permit should apply to most coral species as well.

This isn't quite true. It is a CITES export permit, but this permit requires an associated NDF which is specific to the species being exported (in this case live rock is considered Scleractinia).

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think thats incorrect....(but this is from recollection from 10 years ago)... Indonesia CITES separates the two....requiring separate permits...so LR would be one, coral would be one, and LR with coral attached would be two permits....

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like costs haven't really been evaluated here. And consideration for the amount of effort required to legally get live rock to the states has been overlooked.

Are you saying your friend in Bali has permits to excavate live rock from the ocean?
He is a collector and has been issued the permit for collection by the company he works for.
I think thats incorrect....(but this is from recollection from 10 years ago)... Indonesia CITES separates the two....requiring separate permits...so LR would be one, coral would be one, and LR with coral attached would be two permits....
Ok, the company he works for maricultures live corals and also collects fish. I just asked him if the company (and he IS 100% approved by CITES permit) has all legal permits and documentation and he said yes.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your friend himself has to get the permit. The permit would be issued to him and the specific specimens he is exporting. It is not something obtainable by the importing company. His company needs to obtain the CITES permit from the Indonesian CITES management authority.

This isn't quite true. It is a CITES export permit, but this permit requires an associated NDF which is specific to the species being exported (in this case live rock is considered Scleractinia).
I just asked him and he does. Furthermore, one person can't get a permit to my knowledge (to couldn't care less if they can so please don't bother researching that). Yes, is the answer I point blank asked him is EVERY legal document, permit , and license issued and valid to which he said yes.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, you don't seem to know anyone who can import so I really do thank you for your comments to ensure it's done legally, but that would all be sorted out regardless because the import company would ensure everything is legal.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think the import company will do a much more thorough investigation and know absolutely certain what is needed so I don't really need feedback on what he just might have forgotten about because that would be discovered later regardless.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back