Does anyone use Tropic Marin Pro sea salt?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do want to say that tmpr with proper parameters is, imo, a superior salt. I've had great success with it in the past. Lately the inconsistencies were too much. I only test for basic parameters and it makes me wonder about other elements within the salt. I spent enough on dosing supplements to correct the mixes which really made the salt cost more than it should. But to clarify, I really do like tmpr when its a good bucket, so to speak.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. This bucket was sent by Lou. The problem is how do I get another bucket that's close to parameters, I can't keep purchasing. Lou didn't seem to think anyone had problems with the salt since he hadn't heard of anyone complaining.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. This bucket was sent by Lou. The problem is how do I get another bucket that's close to parameters, I can't keep purchasing. Lou didn't seem to think anyone had problems with the salt since he hadn't heard of anyone complaining.
Several months back another r2r member had a bad bucket. Lou came to the rescue. This was the same time my first bad bucket was discovered. Though, that r2r member and I had different batch numbers. Lou wasn't interested in my parameters compared to the other member. I decided to blow it off and deal with it. Later on, thinking maybe they got a grip on bad batches, I discovered my new bucket was even more off than the last. One would think that a company would tighten quality issues in these types of cases.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went around with Lou to the extant of new bucket,pump,heater for mixing, manual mixing g with a wooden spoon. Ca was always over 600. I even purchased 3 different brand tests. He said it was easier to replace my bucket instead of trying to figure out what was making the salt read this. He implied I was the only person with a bad bucket , let alone two consecutive bad buckets. He said it could be the way the stores were warehousing it. So, I threw out everything I had that was TM besides the replacement bucket which seemed to be good. Now I'm very Leary to order another. After all I had $200 in weed killer salt. However, the new bucket had a different seal than the others. Help...I'm looking for a truly reliable salt within the TMP parameters, is it possible?

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use and I find I don't need to dose anything else since my mg ca and kh are all on point . I do awc daily using my DOS.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On this bucket, the good one, mg is low. I used to do awc with dos also. It seems my water is too clean, no awc, can't run a Pax Bellum reactor, skimmer isn't run all the time either. WC is every other week, 4.5 g on a 80 g system, BB

freeflydarren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it awhile back it was the one with a carbon source added to it but one of my tanks got dinos and it loved tropic marin salt and it went away when switched to reef crystals but I loved the way it mixed so clear
Thats because the carbon dosing aspect of that salt is drastic. most make the mistake of using it and then not dosing enought nitrates and phosphates to stop the dinos from coming. I had that issue and literally had to dose both and test every 6 hours for 5 days to figure out what the tank needed and when. Once you sort that out and set your doser so that what you dose is a little over what keeps you off double zeros where your testing like 0.1 po4 and 1 nitrate then cut your dosing back 15% and your set. Or only use 25% of that salt mixed with 75% of the pro and call it a day. Then your water changes are the control of the carbon dosing.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 33 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 124 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back