Does Copper QT require full water change?

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After an episode of Brook, I have decided to start QTing my fish. I was watching the BRS 80/20 videos, and reading this site and wondering if water changes during a copper QT treatment need to be full water changes, or if I can do partial? Reason being is I don’t have a large enough bucket to mix full 10 gallons with copper for each change. I am using a 10G QT tank and have Hannah checker and copper power.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
After an episode of Brook, I have decided to start QTing my fish. I was watching the BRS 80/20 videos, and reading this site and wondering if water changes during a copper QT treatment need to be full water changes, or if I can do partial? Reason being is I don’t have a large enough bucket to mix full 10 gallons with copper for each change. I am using a 10G QT tank and have Hannah checker and copper power.
Partial is typical and acceptable. When you change treatment water often due to elevated ammonia, mix new water and get copper to same level.. . . . as example, you take out 10 gallons with tank at 2.23 copper level. . . . Mix 10 gallons and add copper to level 2.23-2.24 and add to tank. Hanna kit for copper is recommended

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At the end I would change water using one of a number of online calculators - to remove it to zero (you can also use media, carbon, etc)

OP
OP
P

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end I would change water using one of a number of online calculators - to remove it to zero (you can also use media, carbon, etc)
The fish doesn’t need to be ramped down though correct? It can go from full copper to Display Tank?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fish doesn’t need to be ramped down though correct? It can go from full copper to Display Tank?
Correct
You don't need to do a 100% change - just use the online calculators

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - I don't want you to get the wrong idea. Do not put water from the QT tank into the DT.

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Why are YOU specifically, doing water changes during QT? Personally I try to avoid them unless Ammonia shows up on alert badge. Do you have a seeded hob or sponge filter?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why are YOU specifically, doing water changes during QT? Personally I try to avoid them unless Ammonia shows up on alert badge. Do you have a seeded hob or sponge filter?
Probably\ to avoid ammonia. Which is typical in a QT tank.What is your problem with the. At the end of QT - normally one would not do a water change. - instead the person would put the fish into an observation tank (a total water change) - or into the DT (IMHO not recommended)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back