Does Cyanobacteria and dynoflagellates hitchhike in frags?

Rodrigo Portes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about this and never seen a thread that adressed this issue.
If i get a frag from a tank that is known to have cyano ou dyno issues, are they going to be transfered to my tank?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure that dinoflagellates and cyanobacteria are naturally occurring/basically unavoidable in any aquatic environment and that their proliferation depends on competition from other micro/macro-organisms and whether environmental conditions (ex. water parameters) are more suitable for them as opposed to their competitors.
So yes, a frag could transfer dinoflagellates and cyanobacteria, but they would get introduced via other means and whether or not they proliferate depends on other factors.

OP
OP
R

Rodrigo Portes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention... the transfer would include dipping it before (i.e. FAUNA MARIN THE DIP)....dipping doesnt kill cyano or dyno right?
Continuing from the answer from WHEAT TOAST..... in that line of thought, theorerically transfering a frag from a tank with cyano or dyno would make no difference, once we suposedly only develop it if the destination tank has the right conditions for it to happen...
that is a different tought if we compare to general hitchhikers (not bacterias).....right?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know the science behind it but I will say… I took all my fish and coral from my dino infested cube and put them in my 300 gal display and didn’t have problems for what it’s worth. I did not transfer the rock or sand.

OP
OP
R

Rodrigo Portes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about different types of algae (valonia) for example....if no visual algae is transfered but the original tank has it....will it transfer?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about different types of algae (valonia) for example....if no visual algae is transfered but the original tank has it....will it transfer?
Couldn’t tell ya.. my tank is very low nutrients and algae free.. I’ve never had algae problems because I dose bacteria. Your best bet is to remove any frag plugs from corals you get to prevent nasties… including algae and pests.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 44.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back