Does DI anion and cation…smell like fish?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS: my sense of smell does not work.

I changed my cation and anion DI filters and my mom came saying the entire house stinks. She said it smelled like fish.

Then both my siblings came and also said how it STINKS!

I couldn’t smell anything. I changed out the garbage so the source of the stench would go away. I’m just curious and I want to know if other reefers can agree: does DI resin stink?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS: my sense of smell does not work.

I changed my cation and anion DI filters and my mom came saying the entire house stinks. She said it smelled like fish.

Then both my siblings came and also said how it STINKS!

I couldn’t smell anything. I changed out the garbage so the source of the stench would go away. I’m just curious and I want to know if other reefers can agree: does DI resin stink?
YEP. Trimethylamine. Kind of get nose blind to it if your around it long enough.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s the anion! I had someone help me fill the cation first. But then the anion made the person complain about odor. Then after I got all the comments from family.

I will fill it quickly and dump all evidence of it from now on instead of leaving it in the kitchen garbage.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back