Does everybody regret their sand sifting fish?

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a pair of YWG and a pistol on the left side of the tank and a YWG & pistol on the right side. They each have their own burrows and I only have little sand mounds nearby. ( I do regret getting a sand-sifting star, I'll feed him a clam and he isn't even interested. Not sure how long he will be in the tank). Anyway, I'm deciding on which one to put in the 14G pen. I would love something that would stir sand, lightly! I love High Fin Goby's but just not sure what is going in the peninsula yet.

stevemillersreef

millersreef.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 150g tank is currently ~6 weeks old and has brown diatoms on the sand bed. I've always REALLY valued a clean sand bed and I'm thinking of a pair of Sleeper Banded Gobys or maybe a Bella Goby.

As I dive deep in the research rabbit hole it's hard to ignore how many people regret their sand sifting fish.

Do you like yours? Can you tell me about it and its pros and cons?
I like sand in my reef tanks so I always have a goby sifter and some of the snails too. I’ve never had issues other than you have to have a cover at lights out.

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the bella goby is one of the best sand sifting fish. They sift a lot lower to the ground compared to the diamond goby, meaning you aren't cleaning your rocks from sand as often.

forneyjohn19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a sand bed, sand sifting gobies are a game changer. My sand bed requires no manual maintenance. I have a diamond goby in a 25 gallon. I feed the tank multiple times a day (between fish and corals) and he gets EVERYTHING out of the sand. No detritus buildup.

Notes: corals on the sand bed is not an option. I took my acans and put them on small rocks (that I then buried in the sand). This way it looks like the coral is on the sand bed, but cannot get buried by the goby. Also, if you want control of the sand, this is not the fish for you. Accept the chaos, and it is enjoyable to have an ever-shifting sandscape.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is inaccurate. I've got one that I've had for about 2 years. It has grown and never lost any limbs. Seems to do just fine in my 125.
Very old heavily stocked mature tank?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bert's caused more problems for me than he's fixed... ironically, none of the problems are due to feeding. He eats frozen and pellets just like everyone else. ******* got stuck in my sump for a week, and before that, he poured sand all over my foxface and I thought he had velvet, only for him to swim out of the rocks spotless a few minutes later.

He's a Valenciennea strigata.

bureau13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked my Diamond Goby, but he disappeared into the rock work about a month ago. I assume he's gone, although I have no idea why. He seemed good. I want to get another one.

OP
OP
vanguard

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting a bella goby about two weeks ago. My sand bed is great and while he does get sand on my corals, it's not a big deal. He mostly releases his sand 1-2" from the bottom.

Between him sifting the sand and my pushing it back where I want it the sand lots clean and new. I have a strong preference for a clean sand bed so it's been a win. (So far)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 150g tank is currently ~6 weeks old and has brown diatoms on the sand bed. I've always REALLY valued a clean sand bed and I'm thinking of a pair of Sleeper Banded Gobys or maybe a Bella Goby.

As I dive deep in the research rabbit hole it's hard to ignore how many people regret their sand sifting fish.

Do you like yours? Can you tell me about it and its pros and cons?
I have an engineer goby. I really like her, very fun fish. Secure rockwork is needed, she collapsed mine once tunneling under it. Also dont have any corals that like the sand bed or to be lower, she throws sand all over. Only coral shes killed was a plate coral. She doesnt overturn sand everywhere, just on her side of the tank

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a sand sifting goby years ago and I loved him but what a pain. He would take huge mouthfuls of sand and go sift it in front of my power heads and the sand would get blown around and land all over my corals every day. All day.

Now I use a fighting conch and he does a great job cleaning the sand. He does it all day every day. He burrows under the sand. Comes out. Cleans the top of the sand. Doesn’t make a mess or cause any problems

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back