Does Fluval Evo 13.5 gallon need a powerhead if your keeping coral?

alexNiosue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hello I have a fluval evo 13.5 gallon and its currently stocked with mostly lps coral. I had a 450 gph powerhead I put in the tank but I thought the flow was way too strong as the hammer coral started bleaching and losing material. Then I decided to remove powerhead for a bit and let the coral recover. Finally I thought it'd be good to try something with a little less flow so I opted or a 180 gph powerhead but then the one mushroom coral I had died because of too strong flow. I also should note that during all of this there was a nitrate spike but I did a couple water changes and was able to get it under control fairly quick. I also have a protein skimmer + a purigen bag so that everything gets sucked up completely before building into nasty chemicals that are toxic. Anyways my question is do I need a powerhead for this tank, and if so how strong should it be? Also is it ok to leave the powerhead out while coral recovers and comes back to full strength?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not enough flow for the whole tank with the stock pump. I’d definitely upgrade the return pump if you don’t want a power head in the tank
Something like a koralia nano power head will also work

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 185 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back