Dominant SPS Mixed reef guys?? Imput please

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who does it? It seems heavy SPS tanks somewhat stay SPS tanks. I'm looking to stay as a mixed reef with a decent amount of LPS but mostly SPS. I would like to know the advantages/disadvantages of keeping everyone happy. I see in the by sell section people sell off corals because they are going "dominant SPS" To me if you have the room why not keep them? Sorry of this is a repeat or completely noob question.

Look up a few corals you are interested in on the "Corals of the World" website and see what their habitat is in the wild.

There are lots of corals that are found "everywhere". You may find keeping these types together to be the easiest.

There are also plenty of corals that are found in "peculiar" environments, such as "deep water", "shallow water", "lagoons", etc....these corals may carry more requirements or have different requirements from the "everywhere" corals, so more research is very often recommended and keeping them out of a mixed reef would be a good default position.

How's that for a generic answer!?!?!? :D

Here's the website I mentioned:
http://coral.aims.gov.au/info/search.jsp

Elleuckyreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

I run a barebottom mixed reef, all of my lps does well save the walling hammer on the left side..it's a challenge to find places with low enough flow for lps in a barebottom tank...I dose seachem fusion one and two, and also fuel. I've had the most luck with my elegance coral, it loves high flow and I feed my lps regularly.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back