Don't buy an anemone online

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never buy an anemone online. Many people buy anemones from online retailers such as live aquaria, blue zoo aquatics and many more. When selecting an anemone it is important to check out the foot, the mouth, and if it's bleached. If you can find a anemone in a what you see is what you get section then by all means purchase it if you please. I still would avoid it however due to editing.
Websites like saltwater fish.com may have cheaper prices for example- they are currently selling bubble tips for $ 29.99. The size says around 2-4 inches. This can be a anemone that is 5+ inches and beautiful, or a 1 inch brown bubble tip. In my experiences it is often the smaller of the two. I have purchased bubble tips from the divers den section on live aquaria and am very pleased with what I received because it was the exact picture shown. Something I have noticed is it is not hard to edit a picture the make a average anemone look like the most beautiful thing you have ever laid eyes on.
When I purchase a bubble tip from my local fish store I have time to inspect the anemone. I also get to avoid shipping. I can get a 5 inch bubble tip for around 45$ I can be confident that the anemone is in good health because I personally picked it out. I also can avoid the 35$ shipping on a 29.99 bubble tip, sure you may be getting a $29 bubble tip but you also have shipping worth more than the anemone. I have had every type of anemone I can find, only one of the six anemones in my aquariums is from an online retailer, however it is a What You See Is What You Get. I have purchased two anemones from the general section on websites. Let's just say neither one had a chance at surviving. Many local fish stores carry them and if yours does not have any in stock almost every saltwater fish store can and will order you one. The benefit of this is that if it does not appear healthy then you can simply refuse to purchase it.
My local fish store recently ordered me a rose bubble tip. It is coming in tomorrow. Whenever they order a coral or a invert they purchase three of them, this way they can make sure you get a healthy animal and they grow out what ever you do not purchase. The main reason I do not purchase anemones online is due to the editing. I made a before and after editing picture of a newly acquired bleached Condy anemone. The pictures at the end of the post took me about ten minutes to complete. Although you can easily color up an anemone it should not be necessary. You should be able to have a happy and healthy anemone from the beginning. The only reason I purchased the bleached Condy is because is I knew what I was getting my self into. I purchased him for cheaper than the other Condys. If you have the experience I would recommend doing this. You can save a lot of money doing this.
Shipping can also be stressful for the anemones. My quarantine tank does not have proper lighting for a anemone of any kind. Because of this reason I try to only get anemones that have been in the local fish store's aquariums for a decent amount of time. This way I do not have to worry about them as being as stressed. I also only purchase large anemones because my clownfish can be very rough on them. My Local fish store also can inform me directly on the lighting they use and what they feed their anemones.
In conclusion I strongly suggest not to purchase an anemone from an online retailer. Unless that online retailer has an WYSIWYG section like live aquaria I'd stay away. Below I will attach the photos that I edited. Keep in mind many websites have professional editors. I did this in five minutes on my iphone. You can see how deceiving it can be. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
photo (11).jpg
photo (12).jpg

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well intentioned post, but you lost me around the second paragraph dude. Some good points but there are many people who have had zero issues with Nem's online, especially through this forums vendors. And any that don't meet the standards are quickly spotlighted in feedback threads.. Could probably summarize your post with " inspect a Nem if possible, or order from a trusted vendor." As far as the photo saturation thing, its really a whole nother topic.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you say...rant/runon!!??! lots of great vendors here that I wouldnt even think twice about buying from!!! they get my $$ no problem. sorry if you had a bad experience.

OP
OP
ohio reefer

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the vendors in this site! I was saying the more generic large online retailers

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I obviously know the stores around you I even used to work at one of them. Saying that I purchase everything online. I only trust one store locally but I still know how they handle corals and I just avoid it. I purchased a red Haddoni from a very trusted vendor and it came to me better than expected.

All I can say is i have never once been disappointed ordering from a vendor you just need to research and some snooping and figure out what vendor you can trust.

So I say don't order a nem unless its from someone trusted. Usually if its to good to be true then it is. But I don't want people being scared of ordering online it really isn't a problem at all.

But yes I'm wary of the retailers you are talking about also!

OP
OP
ohio reefer

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I obviously know the stores around you I even used to work at one of them. Saying that I purchase everything online. I only trust one store locally but I still know how they handle corals and I just avoid it. I purchased a red Haddoni from a very trusted vendor and it came to me better than expected.

All I can say is i have never once been disappointed ordering from a vendor you just need to research and some snooping and figure out what vendor you can trust.

So I say don't order a nem unless its from someone trusted. Usually if its to good to be true then it is. But I don't want people being scared of ordering online it really isn't a problem at all.

But yes I'm wary of the retailers you are talking about also!

A fellow buckeye?! Message me what store you worked at and what stores do you avoid because of coral treatment? I'm getting less sure about our lfs!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't really read the whole thing, but I think OP is saying just be careful. Buying an anemone online you take the same risks as buying corals online. Always go for WYSIWYG pieces, just like corals, and avoid over saturated pictures. Same rule as corals.

Back