Doser dumped a gallon of all for reef in 120 SPS tank

dpoltsdsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All

Welp my Jebao doser dumped a little less than a gallon of all for reef in my 120 gallon reef tank. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do? I’m trying to see what LFS have saltwater near me to do a large water change. Anything I can do in the meantime.

UGH

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Water change and carbon is all I can think of.
Had a similar situation.
Had about a quart and a half get dosed in my 66 gallon.
Lost most of the euphyllia.
Zoanthids, blastos, and favias survived.
A chalice that I thought was dead before came roaring back.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rising alk is the biggest concern, IMO. It might get to more than 50 dKH if you did nothing, although it wouldn't since precipitation of calcium carbonate will kick in.

Water changes are best, but a pain.

You can also lower alk a bit with an acid, but it will really drive pH very low for any significant alk drop.

OP
OP
dpoltsdsu

dpoltsdsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 30 gallon water change last night with what water I had and doing another 30 right now.

Oddly enough, the tank seems totally normal today. All my SPS have their polyps out. My Magnifica and Maxima clam are out as well and look good. Really strange

Also no precipitation at all yet

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehh you should probably do nothing and let it come back down naturally.

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dpoltsdsu & @mfinn

What dozers were you guys using? And was this a TOTAL dosing unit screw up or was it even remotely an excusable mistake / partial user error?

Reminds me of this:

I’m currently trying to figure out what doser to buy and stories like this TERRIFY me.

Last edited by a moderator:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@dpoltsdsu & @mfinn

What dozers were you guys using? And was this a TOTAL dosing unit screw up or was it even remotely an excusable mistake / partial user error?

Reminds me of this:

I’m currently trying to figure out what doser to buy and stories like this TERRIFY me.
Mine was a diy mistake. It was a disaster looking for a place and time to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
dpoltsdsu

dpoltsdsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened with respect to alkalinity?
The max it hit was 14.9, and that was a day and an half after this happened and after about a 40% water change with salt testing at 8. I did 30% water changes the next two days as well and it went down about .5 - .7 everyday until it hit 10 which is where I’m keeping it currently. I’ll very slowly bring it down to 8 over the next month or so where I usually keep it.

OP
OP
dpoltsdsu

dpoltsdsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened with respect to alkalinity?
The max it hit was 14.9, and that was a day and an half after this happened and after about a 40% water change with salt testing at 8. I did 30% water changes the next two days as well and it went down about .5 - .7 everyday until it hit 10 which is where I’m keeping it currently. I’ll very slowly bring it down to 8 over the next month or so where I usually keep it.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 30 gallon water change last night with what water I had and doing another 30 right now.

Oddly enough, the tank seems totally normal today. All my SPS have their polyps out. My Magnifica and Maxima clam are out as well and look good. Really strange

Also no precipitation at all yet
You got lucky. The cool thing about AFR that I've observed is that it's slower acting unlike if you dosed two part. It always seems to take a bit of time to react. Of course that's in my own normal dosing, but it might mean something...

Back