Dosing iodine

Heisenberg 78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you was to dose KI as a salt based product (raw) how much would it take in grams or milligrams to have any affect on the tank.

After reading the above I would like to give this a go by supplementing it separately to other trace element.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this thread -

Users: "Hey experts, I have an issue, can you recommend a corrective action?"
Expert: "Absolutely, my recommendation is to do XYZ, specifically XYZ and not ABC due to these characteristics..."
Users: "Ok cool, I've started using ABC"

Maybe I've just got a chip on my shoulder, I'm in IT and advise on complex systems and integrations and see this happen all.the.time. ;Meh

Thanks @Randy Holmes-Farley for bringing your immense knowledge to our hobby.

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this thread -

Users: "Hey experts, I have an issue, can you recommend a corrective action?"
Expert: "Absolutely, my recommendation is to do XYZ, specifically XYZ and not ABC due to these characteristics..."
Users: "Ok cool, I've started using ABC"

Maybe I've just got a chip on my shoulder, I'm in IT and advise on complex systems and integrations and see this happen all.the.time. ;Meh

Thanks @Randy Holmes-Farley for bringing your immense knowledge to our hobby.

I also work in IT, so I understand where you are coming from on this. Based on my limited understanding of how iodine works in the reef, iodide is what we are looking to dose. Lugol's had iodide in it, but in a small percentage. Based on what @Randy Holmes-Farley said earlier in the thread, potassium or sodium iodide is better for dosing. What I'm trying to get a handle on is which products specifically would work, at what concentrations, and how much to dose. Hopefully that information is made available soon. I'm super curious.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also work in IT, so I understand where you are coming from on this. Based on my limited understanding of how iodine works in the reef, iodide is what we are looking to dose. Lugol's had iodide in it, but in a small percentage. Based on what @Randy Holmes-Farley said earlier in the thread, potassium or sodium iodide is better for dosing. What I'm trying to get a handle on is which products specifically would work, at what concentrations, and how much to dose. Hopefully that information is made available soon. I'm super curious.

Oh for sure, my snark wasn't directed at any one person, this thread is just emblematic of what I think we see often in this sub-forum, the lighting sub-forum and many others. I'm not currently in this boat, but back in the day I was interested in dosing iodide as well and found this. No guarantees on fitness for use, but thats what I was considering at the time!

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh for sure, my snark wasn't directed at any one person, this thread is just emblematic of what I think we see often in this sub-forum, the lighting sub-forum and many others. I'm not currently in this boat, but back in the day I was interested in dosing iodide as well and found this. No guarantees on fitness for use, but thats what I was considering at the time!

No, I totally get what you're saying about people just going against the advice of a literal expert in a particular field to just do their own thing, which they are free to do, but wow. I've been looking at this product over the past couple days, and am curious to see if it can be safely used, if need be.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I totally get what you're saying about people just going against the advice of a literal expert in a particular field to just do their own thing, which they are free to do, but wow. I've been looking at this product over the past couple days, and am curious to see if it can be safely used, if need be.

I bet it would, however determining the concentration you would need to increase the levels in your aquarium by whatever % is outside my wheel house. I would first make sure I have a test kit that can detect minute changes in iodine and then test on some used tank water in an amount that is easy to scale up. (e.g. 50gal water volume, 5gal of "waste water" from a water change, 1oz of prepared solution, etc) Test before and after, see % change, identify volume necessary for % change desired and scale up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet it would, however determining the concentration you would need to increase the levels in your aquarium by whatever % is outside my wheel house. I would first make sure I have a test kit that can detect minute changes in iodine and then test on some used tank water in an amount that is easy to scale up. (e.g. 50gal water volume, 5gal of "waste water" from a water change, 1oz of prepared solution, etc) Test before and after, see % change, identify volume necessary for % change desired and scale up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And thats where I need a SME like Randy to weigh in. I THINK it will work, but that's not enough for me to start doing anything dosing wise until I can get some feedback from him.

Bethany Yates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I prefer KI to I2 as a supplement.

I2 can react with organics and can become incorporated into the organic structure, potentially irritating or damaging organism tissues. For example, it readily reacts with the C=C double bonds in unsaturated lipids, forming iodinated fatty acids:

http://biosiva.50webs.org/lipids.htm

lip14.jpg
This is some really fantastic info!!! I have a question about iodine dosing. I am looking into potassium iodide dosing but I have been hearing reports that excess nitrates in the water will prevent the uptake of the iodide by animals. Has anyone else heard this?

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is some really fantastic info!!! I have a question about iodine dosing. I am looking into potassium iodide dosing but I have been hearing reports that excess nitrates in the water will prevent the uptake of the iodide by animals. Has anyone else heard this?

There is probably a lot of chemistry we'll need to pick up to understand if that's the case, and why. I look forward to hearing back from the experts.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That almost surely is speculation. I've never seen data of that sort, or even even iodine uptake data for any organism we keep at any nitrate level, aside from algae.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you was to dose KI as a salt based product (raw) how much would it take in grams or milligrams to have any affect on the tank.

After reading the above I would like to give this a go by supplementing it separately to other trace element.

What exactly do you want to dose? you just mean solid KI?

What level do you want to attain?

And, of course, how big is your tank.

Heisenberg 78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly do you want to dose? you just mean solid KI?

What level do you want to attain?

And, of course, how big is your tank.
Hello Randy thanks for coming back to us on this.

My main objective was to create a solution that I can dose into my tank, which just lifts my current levels by x/ppm.

I went and bought a 250g tub of KI, and proceeded to have a go at googling the molarity, in order to establish a suitable ppm stock to make and way of creating a dosage.
I got stuck going from a ppm (in stock) to what the effect would be by adding a set amount of it to the tank.
Obviously it needs to be safe so I don’t go nuking the tank.

I was thinking also that if I made it too dilute, it could go the other way where I’m constantly dosing it and having no effect on current levels.

Because I am not that well up on chemistry I didn‘t fancy a shot in the dark.

If I could have some certainty that: ( let’s say) that 5 grams could be mixed in one litre of water, and then be dosed at say at ......ml a day into my 350 litre tank this would be able to elevate levels by 0.01ppm (aiming for 0.06)

hope you can assist me

Thanks,

Paul

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no need to use molarity.

KI is 77% iodine.

If you make a stock solution of 10 grams per 1000 mL of RO/DI, that will contain about 7.7 grams I per 1000 mL, or 7.7 mg/mL.

If you add 1 mL (containing 7.7 mg of I) of that to a 100 gallon (378 L) liter aquarium, it would boost iodine by 7.7 mg/378 L = 0.02 mg/l = 0.02 ppm.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no need to use molarity.

KI is 77% iodine.

If you make a stock solution of 10 grams per 1000 mL of RO/DI, that will contain about 7.7 grams I per 1000 mL, or 7.7 mg/mL.

If you add 1 mL (containing 7.7 mg of I) of that to a 100 gallon (378 L) liter aquarium, it would boost iodine by 7.7 mg/378 L = 0.02 mg/l = 0.02 ppm.
Thank you Randy that’s really great. I will give that a try; so thank you kindly..

I was looking at a 10% solution, but based on this exchange, it looks like going with pure KI is preferable. I assume you dissolve the granules in RODI water and dose from there?

Heisenberg 78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is pure KI (in salts), I’m just moving away from dropping Lugols and going to pop this as a solution on the doser, it’s mainly to see how or if things change for me, as my iodide was always on the low side.
The small increase in dosage will be enough for me to work with to complete my experiment.

coolfella trev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys just had a read of the thread as someone mentioned to me iodine will enhance sps .
Came across this thread and see potassium iodide was mentioned . Is anyone using pharmacy stuff or stuff labelled marine aquarium .

Heisenberg 78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
purchased the pharmacy grade that I buy in the uk from apc pure.

I have yet to try the dosing as per the above solution due to me having a separate issue with other things which I wanted to bottom out first.
I will likely give this a go now that things have settled again.

coolfella trev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
purchased the pharmacy grade that I buy in the uk from apc pure.

I have yet to try the dosing as per the above solution due to me having a separate issue with other things which I wanted to bottom out first.
I will likely give this a go now that things have settled again.

Ok thanks I’m UK based aswell so will look into it

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys just had a read of the thread as someone mentioned to me iodine will enhance sps .
Came across this thread and see potassium iodide was mentioned . Is anyone using pharmacy stuff or stuff labelled marine aquarium .

People use both of those Just fine. I personally wouldn’t expect you to see a difference, but please report back with any result, positive or otherwise. :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back