Dosing query

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I’ve been dosing brs 2 part for quite some time now. Probably going on 9 mo. I used to dose sodium bicarbonate but switched to soda ash. I can’t remember the chemical name for it. Sodium Chloride maybe. Any way I dosed the calcium when I got home about 5:30 or so. I just dosed the Alkalinity and it turned white and precipitated . Usually when I dose it is clear. Is there a shelf life on the chemicals or something. The ph didn’t even spike when I dosed it. The ph usually spikes and settles after around 30 min or so . I’m kind of stumped at what is going on. Never had this issue before. Thank you.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium carbonate (soda ash, baked baking soda, washing soda) does cause some local precipitation of magnesium hydroxide when added. It needs to be added to a high flow area and be added somewhat slowly. You do not want it to collect somewhere before it redissolves since some calcium carbonate may begin to precipitate due ti the locally high pH, and it won’t redissolve.

OP
OP
Reefdiculous22

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium carbonate (soda ash, baked baking soda, washing soda) does cause some local precipitation of magnesium hydroxide when added. It needs to be added to a high flow area and be added somewhat slowly. You do not want it to collect somewhere before it redissolves since some calcium carbonate may begin to precipitate due ti the locally high pH, and it won’t redissolve.
Thank you

Back