Doug's 1400 gal Dream Marine Aquarium - 2nd Topic: 1x1400gal or 2 x 800gal?

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the topic of feeding larger predatory fish in a mixed tank system you will feed a lot of food but much of the food that is fed can be purchased at the seafood market for a reasonable price and mixed with smaller portions of frozen fish food. I put my feeding routine below for the fish. I do spot feed anemones, NPS corals, and LPS corals but I will not add that into the mix. I have a very large skimmer and large refugium to help handle the bioload of the fish. I use one large commercial grade GEO calcium reactor which does not have an issue keeping up with demand. I do water changes once a month of 200 gallons using reef crystals which is a change over the last year as I was not doing any major water changes for the first 1.5 years of the tank running.

Fish feeding routine:
720 Gallon tank (Puffers, Triggers, Angels, Tangs, Rabbit fish, wrasses, and several smaller varieties of fish)
  • Automatic feeder: 2x/day large spectrum pellets
  • Every other day 1/3-1/2 sheet Nori
  • Every other day Big fish food rotation will be one of the following
    • 2-3x large shrimp tail on
    • 1 large shrimp tail on & 1 whole squid 4-6" long
    • 1 large shrimp tail on & 3-6 Clams on half shell
  • Every other day ~6-8 cubes of frozen food
    • LRS
    • PE Mysis
    • RODs

480 Gallon Reef:
  • Automatic feeder: 2x/day PE Mysis pellets
  • Every other day 1/4 sheet Nori
  • Every other day ~4-8 cubes of frozen food
    • LRS
    • PE Mysis
    • RODs

OP
OP
D

DJKNOX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the topic of feeding larger predatory fish in a mixed tank system you will feed a lot of food but much of the food that is fed can be purchased at the seafood market for a reasonable price and mixed with smaller portions of frozen fish food. I put my feeding routine below for the fish. I do spot feed anemones, NPS corals, and LPS corals but I will not add that into the mix. I have a very large skimmer and large refugium to help handle the bioload of the fish. I use one large commercial grade GEO calcium reactor which does not have an issue keeping up with demand. I do water changes once a month of 200 gallons using reef crystals which is a change over the last year as I was not doing any major water changes for the first 1.5 years of the tank running.

Fish feeding routine:
720 Gallon tank (Puffers, Triggers, Angels, Tangs, Rabbit fish, wrasses, and several smaller varieties of fish)
  • Automatic feeder: 2x/day large spectrum pellets
  • Every other day 1/3-1/2 sheet Nori
  • Every other day Big fish food rotation will be one of the following
    • 2-3x large shrimp tail on
    • 1 large shrimp tail on & 1 whole squid 4-6" long
    • 1 large shrimp tail on & 3-6 Clams on half shell
  • Every other day ~6-8 cubes of frozen food
    • LRS
    • PE Mysis
    • RODs

480 Gallon Reef:
  • Automatic feeder: 2x/day PE Mysis pellets
  • Every other day 1/4 sheet Nori
  • Every other day ~4-8 cubes of frozen food
    • LRS
    • PE Mysis
    • RODs
Thanks again Alex - your fish are eating very well. Did they take to the pellets right away?

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tom I was thinking that if I was to have a large predator aquarium with large fish, the food bill could add up over time... so was wondering about culturing live food - ie feeder fish and shrimps etc... most feeder fish at local stores are not suitable... as you suggest.

1589239623343.png

u know like table shrimp like this. Like those u can buy in the frozen food section that comes in a clear plastic box
1589239776064.png

lancefish like this for eels and others
1589239822037.png
1589239931195.png

u could also go with some FW ghost shrimp
u could try and breed them
and as for culturing...
here u could get a 20g tank, get a couple o mollies feed them high nutritious diet and increase the salinity slowly to 1.020 when acclimating and feed them to ur fish when they give birth every 2 months

OP
OP
D

DJKNOX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update on this thread. The pandemic brought a lot of tragedy and adversity to my life and everything was put on hold. I'm just coming up for air now and hope to re-start my new house project that includes the monster aquarium(s) as a sub project.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back