Dr G's & Red Bugs

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I administered my 3rd and final dosage last night. I increased the dosage amount to 400ml from 360ml just so I wasn't left with a partial amount in the bottle. Inspected all acros that had previous bite marks and again no new signs of bite marks and all previous damage has repaired itself. All fish are fine and corals look great. The cleaner shrimp is MIA so I am writing it off as collateral damage to the treatment. All other inverts and pod population appear to be fine.

OP
OP
RUNVS

RUNVS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I administered my 3rd and final dosage last night. I increased the dosage amount to 400ml from 360ml just so I wasn't left with a partial amount in the bottle. Inspected all acros that had previous bite marks and again no new signs of bite marks and all previous damage has repaired itself. All fish are fine and corals look great. The cleaner shrimp is MIA so I am writing it off as collateral damage to the treatment. All other inverts and pod population appear to be fine.
Great to hear yes I ended up losing a cleaner shrimp and a coral banded shrimp in the process as well and it took awhile but eventually lost my pod population over the course of two months that I attributed it to this but nothing else was ill affected and still have no problem as of now, I am just now going to put pods back in the tank and see how they do.

MrPorter80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m highly consumed on the intank dosage. The beginning of the thread states 7ml per 30gal. Later in the thread 1ml per gal. Why such the large discrepancy?

MrPorter80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m highly confused on the intank dosage. The beginning of the thread states 7ml per 30gal. Later in the thread 1ml per gal. Why such the large discrepancy?

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this thread as I’m about to nuke my tank with this, has anyone else applied this to their tanks? Any more outcomes? I have a Maxima clam I’ve bad for about a 1.5 years will she be affected by this treatment? And what’s the recommended amount since there were completely sepereta dosages applied from 7ml per 30g to 1ml per gallon

porterreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bronxreef I did this in my 250 gallon as you probably saw in the early parts of this thread. Besides a few of the smaller inverts everything was fine in my tanks. I was nervous when I first did the treatment but it worked great for me. I was treating for Red bugs which I used the 7mL per 30 but the 1mL looks to have been for flatworms. I would highly recommend taking out any shrimp or invert and putting them in a qt system since it does go after crustaceans, Your clam could be taken out but thats dependent on the health of the clam. I have n0 doubt that its healthy but as a precaution on your part if you have the means its always better safe than sorry to put anything you can catch invert wise and qt them for the duration of the treatment.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g with 30g sump will one bottle be enough for the whole treatment

porterreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you should have more than enough the bottle is 8 fluid ounces which converts to 236.5 mL.

Minnesota Coral Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use 1ml per gallon? I have a 2000 gallon reef system. 2000mls seams like a lot.

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use 1ml per gallon? I have a 2000 gallon reef system. 2000mls seams like a lot.
As states in this thread, it seems like 7ml per 30 gallons is for red bugs, and 1ml per gallon for flatworms. So depends on what you are treating. For a 2000g system it may be more financially smart to get interceptor from the vet.

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As states in this thread, it seems like 7ml per 30 gallons is for red bugs, and 1ml per gallon for flatworms. So depends on what you are treating. For a 2000g system it may be more financially smart to get interceptor from the vet.
So is the 7 ml per 30 gallon mean 7 ml straight HHT out of the bottle or mixed up with rodi water. Thanks

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is the 7 ml per 30 gallon mean 7 ml straight HHT out of the bottle or mixed up with rodi water. Thanks
Not sure what HHT means. But I mixed 7ml per 30 gallons in a cup with tank water than dozed in front of a power head. My system is 120g straight up and I used that in my calculations. I did not subtract for rock, sand, etc. and my red bugs disappeared in 2 days

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what HHT means. But I mixed 7ml per 30 gallons in a cup with tank water than dozed in front of a power head. My system is 120g straight up and I used that in my calculations. I did not subtract for rock, sand, etc. and my red bugs disappeared in 2 days

auto correct. I wanted to make sure that is 7ml of the concentrate vs mixing with ro water. Do know what is the recommended dosage from the bottle for dipping and how long?

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Directions on the bottle say to mix 9.75 L of tank water with 8 oz of concentrated mix (full bottle). You should be able to find the ratio of water to mix for whatever water volume you want. It says to bathe the corals in it for 6 hours and to shake the coral occasionally. Given the long dip time, it may be better to use Revive, Bayer, etc.

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Directions on the bottle say to mix 9.75 L of tank water with 8 oz of concentrated mix (full bottle). You should be able to find the ratio of water to mix for whatever water volume you want. It says to bathe the corals in it for 6 hours and to shake the coral occasionally. Given the long dip time, it may be better to use Revive, Bayer, etc.

so for in tank treatment though you just 7 ml for every 30 gallons of water straight out of the bottle with not mixing correct? Sorry for all the questions. Thank you

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you guys suggest using this on a 29 gallon biocube that doesn’t even run a skimmer on it lol? I got some pods that are not red bugs but they look just like them, just not the yellow and red, they are tan. I have a video however it’s hard to get the iPhone video to play on here.

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you guys suggest using this on a 29 gallon biocube that doesn’t even run a skimmer on it lol? I got some pods that are not red bugs but they look just like them, just not the yellow and red, they are tan. I have a video however it’s hard to get the iPhone video to play on here.
Are they the brown flatworms? It would be fine on a skimmerless system if it has been set up for a while in my opinion

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first picture you can see two of them on top of each other, prob getting freaky, and the next picture one ran to the top of the Coralite. So you can see that their shapes are like tiny mites and not flat works, and they stutter quick so I am one thousand percent sure they aren’t worms, and not the black bugs which are larger or the white bugs.

F626B6F7-9283-473F-9995-7A8DF99B2AEC.jpeg FBA930C1-81BA-4D14-AE18-DB24C64C4B68.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back