Dr. Roy Caldwell PHD and world renowned mantis shrimp expert.

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a neat conversation today....old buddy of mine, Dr. Roy Caldwell and I did business together for over 40 years. He is the mantis whisperer ........amazing guy and research while at the university of Berkeley in California. We met up once on conch reef in the keys, he was there looking for a special mantis shrimp and we were sailfishing......amazing guy....see his photography he has done. He is 97 and doing well and 100% with us although suffering from parkinson's disease. I sent him many zillions of mantis shrimps over the years. Great guy!
https://ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a neat conversation today....old buddy of mine, Dr. Roy Caldwell and I did business together for over 40 years. He is the mantis whisperer ........amazing guy and research while at the university of Berkeley in California. We met up once on conch reef in the keys, he was there looking for a special mantis shrimp and we were sailfishing......amazing guy....see his photography he has done. He is 97 and doing well and 100% with us although suffering from parkinson's disease. I sent him many zillions of mantis shrimps over the years. Great guy!
https://ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/

I have referenced this website many times. Love it!

Antyama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, I didn't know he was 97! He actually replied to an email a few months ago regarding some stomapod questions

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to necropost, but out of curiousity is there any way to contact him?

I always wanted to know more about the "Hatchet" and "Spike" type of stomatopods. Both are kinda swept under the rug when talking about them (everyone automatically assumes spearer and smasher are the only types.)

Spike especially is one I've seen him talk about in the past but can't dig up the sources about and nothing new is being said for.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back