Dragon Soul torch tissue recession?

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello fam.

I’ve had my Dragon for almost two years and gone from a single head to about fourteen. While observing the coral closed up with a flashlight, I noticed one head appears to be receding.

What puzzles me is that it doesn’t look like typical recession, or at least what I’ve seen in photos. The flesh appears to follow a clean, distinct line across the corallite. There is some type of “fuzzy” textured material directly below the flesh line. In the second picture, you can see the other polyp has flesh extending much further down the skeleton, which we would expect in a healthy specimen.

For what it’s worth, the polyp is extended during the day and most of the night.

Thoughts? Would love to hear from some euphyllia experts.

12AC657D-4B55-4D98-8544-2523D3EAEDC0.jpeg
7DD22F9D-4B8C-4950-B85E-802CE4867792.jpeg

bknope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not an expert but I think I’ve seen that when a polyp is preparing to bail. Has flow or parameters changed that would make it angry?

I’d be happy to be wrong!

OP
OP
pharazon

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought I would post an update since I’ve personally read so many threads that never do, and I’m always left wondering what happened.

This head continues to hang on! It did recede a bit more, but the flesh actually seems to extend a bit more on one side. If I didn’t know any better (I don’t) I would hazard a guess that it is growing more skeleton under there.

Still has a mouth, still extends. What’s happened to it or is happening to it has me stumped. Ironically, the torch did lose a head on the other side of the colony. It has at least 15 heads, so I didn’t even notice. Flesh is healthy and extends far down the skeleton on all the other heads.

3A305FEA-2D1A-4132-8188-F590E4531C43.jpeg

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if you every found a solution? Going through the same thing now. Tissue is recessing very quickly.

OP
OP
pharazon

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious if you every found a solution? Going through the same thing now. Tissue is recessing very quickly.

Hey there! In my case, it tends to happen to heads that are lower on the colony and don’t get as much light; it could happen for variety of reasons though.

If it were happening to any of mine very quickly, I’d be looking at parameters, running carbon, and doing a water change. If it was happening to multiple heads, I would consider the now pretty well known KFC dip method.

If it’s any consolation, I still have the torch I posted about four years ago. It’s been fragged many times over and I currently have probably a hundred heads or so across multiple mini colonies. This same thing still happens to some of the lower heads that get shaded out.

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! In my case, it tends to happen to heads that are lower on the colony and don’t get as much light; it could happen for variety of reasons though.

If it were happening to any of mine very quickly, I’d be looking at parameters, running carbon, and doing a water change. If it was happening to multiple heads, I would consider the now pretty well known KFC dip method.

If it’s any consolation, I still have the torch I posted about four years ago. It’s been fragged many times over and I currently have probably a hundred heads or so across multiple mini colonies. This same thing still happens to some of the lower heads that get shaded out.

Wow that is amazing! Happy to hear everything is doing well. Mine it higher light and it looks like the flesh is getting some of the light higher up too. It looks like it happened after i did a water change where my DKH went from about 7.2-8DKH. This could have also been the issue but its still receeding and has happened over the course of a couple of days. Euyphellia dominated tank and it is the only head having troubles which is confusing.

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is amazing! Happy to hear everything is doing well. Mine it higher light and it looks like the flesh is getting some of the light higher up too. It looks like it happened after i did a water change where my DKH went from about 7.2-8DKH. This could have also been the issue but its still receeding and has happened over the course of a couple of days. Euyphellia dominated tank and it is the only head having troubles which is confusing.

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0062.jpeg

OP
OP
pharazon

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll be honest, that doesn’t look too bad to me. It’s still got flesh stretching pretty far down the skeleton. To me it looks more like it’s a result of splitting and skeleton growth.

As for the dKh change, I personally wouldn’t be suspect of that. Before auto dosing, I would dose up to 1 dKh at a time to maintain alkalinity.

For what it’s worth, I would never make any tank-wide changes due to a single coral. And this one doesn’t look too bad to me. Keep an eye on it. If the flesh gets close to the top of the polyp, like in the picture I posted four years ago, maybe consider KFC dipping it. Until then, I’d let it ride. My bet is it’ll be fine.

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be honest, that doesn’t look too bad to me. It’s still got flesh stretching pretty far down the skeleton. To me it looks more like it’s a result of splitting and skeleton growth.

As for the dKh change, I personally wouldn’t be suspect of that. Before auto dosing, I would dose up to 1 dKh at a time to maintain alkalinity.

For what it’s worth, I would never make any tank-wide changes due to a single coral. And this one doesn’t look too bad to me. Keep an eye on it. If the flesh gets close to the top of the polyp, like in the picture I posted four years ago, maybe consider KFC dipping it. Until then, I’d let it ride. My bet is it’ll be fine.
Thank you so much for the help brother! For reference this new picture was 2 days before the one I sent previously. So there’s clearly some recession of sorts. Just started auto dosing AFR to keep parameters more stable because I’m losing about .2DKH a day. I will keep an eye on it because it still extends fully during the day just seeing flesh recede at an alarming rate which is odd.

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the help brother! For reference this new picture was 2 days before the one I sent previously. So there’s clearly some recession of sorts. Just started auto dosing AFR to keep parameters more stable because I’m losing about .2DKH a day. I will keep an eye on it because it still extends fully during the day just seeing flesh recede at an alarming rate which is odd.
IMG_0052.jpeg
Clearly a bit of a difference from here to the image above.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back