Dragonet in nano

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So currently have my 12g nano going and almost done dealing with red cyano but was looking at the LFS a couple days ago and saw a Ruby Red Dragonet and was wondering if anyone has some thoughts about me keeping one in a 12g as my only pod eater. I put pods in about a month ago but havent seen any for a week or two now, but when my LFS gets some in stock I'm planning on getting some more to stock. My main question is though. Is it doable to have a dragonet in such a small tank? I've read a couple posts but wanted to get some new thoughts, also read that people have had luck getting them to eat other food so giving me a little hope I could keep one. Planning on adding a pair of clowns and a pistol shrimp and goby pair. Probably going to wait another week or so to add them and probably a couple more weeks before I even think about adding a dragonet to get my pods up again.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a pair of clowns would be nice in that tank, but honestly shouldn’t have 3 or 4 fish in the tank, it’s just too small. Keep it to 2 fish.

If you get a pod eater the odds are very much against you, I can never say never, but I would bet my money on the fish not making it (sorry).

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better to choose fish that will reliably do well in the size tank you're working with, rather than leaning on hope based on a few cherry picked reports. Best results will be in a ~100g tank that's at least a year in.

I agree that two smaller fish would be appropriate for 12 gallons of water. Clowns are nice, in my experience.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby red, beautiful fish.
Never tried lower than 50g.
12g may not be enough real estate to maintain the level of pods consumed.
You would not to provide a constant supply in this case, then maybe that could work.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've succesfully kept a Mandarin Dragonet in a 10g in the past.

Kept a rather high nutrient system though, with very porous rock, completely covered in caulerpa and halimeda, and regular supportive feeding with lobster eggs (which also drove up the nutrients!).

LassieTankCaulerpa.jpg

Lassie1.jpg

OP
OP
reselute

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've succesfully kept a Mandarin Dragonet in a 10g in the past.

Kept a rather high nutrient system though, with very porous rock, completely covered in caulerpa and halimeda, and regular supportive feeding with lobster eggs (which also drove up the nutrients!).

LassieTankCaulerpa.jpg

Lassie1.jpg
Hm maybe Ill give it a shot if I can up my pod population lol

Back