OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're definitely an interesting fish to watch. They slither along the sand just like a snake moves, but mine seem to swim a bit more at night and then wrap their tails around acros to feed.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update... They're still doing well in my tank and the number of redbugs seems to be diminishing, although they seem to spend more time foraging on the sandbed than picking at the acros. They stay on the sandbed for the most part during the day, but as the lights cycle down and the more active fish go to their respective hiding spots, they tend to swim around a bit and pick at the SPS. How is yours doing Twinspots?

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
THe pipefish are still doing well in my tank, but they were unable to keep up with the redbugs. I ended up dosing interceptor three times to eradicate the redbugs, and (knock on wood) haven't seen any since. I seeded my fuge with some pod filled chaeto from a buddies tank in case I wiped my pod population with the interceptor and had no problems with them or my mandarin. They seem to be much more active now that they're settled in the tank and nothing seems to bother them, including a clarkii that bullies nearly everything I put in the tank. Their favorite spot seems to be sitting on a frag rack, or wrapping their tails around astae snails on the back glass and picking the pods off the glass, but it's amazing how well they blend into the sandbed. Despite the yellow blotches on their body, they can be right in front of your face on the sand and you won't see them which has led me to believe I lost them a couple times.

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish and photos!

Following along - I really wanted to put two of them in this tank once it matures. They would be the only fish, but understood they required temperate water (prone to bacteria infections at reef temps) and would be at risk around stinging corals (90+ corals Frags in this tank...)

DSC_0618.jpg

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish and photos!

Following along - I really wanted to put two of them in this tank once it matures. They would be the only fish, but understood they required temperate water (prone to bacteria infections at reef temps) and would be at risk around stinging corals (90+ corals Frags in this tank...)

I wasn't aware that they preferred cooler water (Liveaquaria recommends 72-78, as they do with most fish). I run my tank at 79 and have had them going on about a month. I wouldn't be too worried about them being consumed by the frags. Here's a pic of my tank....packed with corals & nems and they've done well.
IMG_8034.jpg

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did a clown explode in your tank? great looking corals and colors. pipefish are def. going to be on my wish list as things to get for mine. a cool plus that they eat redbugs too!! im sure i would have to wait on getting a mature tank first because i guess they eat pods too so if i got them right away in a new setup they would starve or do they eat fishfood as well.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine don't seem the least bit interested in prepared foods, but it sounds like others have had luck getting them onto frozen. I'd wait till you have a nice healthy pod population before thinking of adding one unless you see it eat prepared food at the LFS.
Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got an email from Coral Magazine and the May/June issue is going to have some articles on pipefish for any of you that are interested in getting some!

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thing is amazing! That is my goal, to have a tank I need to scuba dive into to clean...lol
If I had that setup in my house, I'd never leave home. Upkeep on a tank that size must be rediculous... but I still want it

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic, but this is fantastic advice he has in the article:

If a particular method has worked for you for some time, stick with it. Frequent experimentation with no fixed objective will never lead to success! That is sound advice.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back