drain and return guidance for 8ft 240 gallon

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soon I will be purchasing an 8ft 240gallon tank. I need to decide some specifics on it such as number of holes in the overflow box, their diameters, and the location of the returns and their diameters. I have used the Herbie system in the past and liked it, but I want to try the Bean Animal 3 drain on this tank with an external overflow box.

1. Planet Aquariums has multiple configurations to choose from in terms of drain location and return location. If using an external overflow box bean animal style, are 3 drains inside the overflow box and 2 returns located on the rear glass of the aquarium in the left side corner and right side corner a good set-up? Planet has one option to put 5 holes total in the overflow box 3 for the drain and 2 return, but I thought this would be less efficient for water skimming and distributing flow throughout the tank surface.

2. what diameter should the drains be?

3. what should the return line diameters be?

Thanks

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think 1" for returns and 1.5" for drains. but curious to see what others say.
This is what I have. 1.5” overflows, bean animal external overflow. 1” returns on each side of overflow. You could go larger on returns, but consider that more siphon goes into the sump, even with antisiphon break holes, unless you place check valves.

And one big tip, don’t ask for 1.25” returns because it is IMPOSSIBLE to find the right bulkheads for that. I’ve tried. 1.5” returns is too large for that size tank imo.

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I have. 1.5” overflows, bean animal external overflow. 1” returns on each side of overflow. You could go larger on returns, but consider that more siphon goes into the sump, even with antisiphon break holes, unless you place check valves.

And one big tip, don’t ask for 1.25” returns because it is IMPOSSIBLE to find the right bulkheads for that. I’ve tried. 1.5” returns is too large for that size tank imo.

Any downsides to having too large return holes on that sized tank? I would have thought you could get some powerful return pumps and lower your need for powerheads in the display that way.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any downsides to having too large return holes on that sized tank? I would have thought you could get some powerful return pumps and lower your need for powerheads in the display that way.
I think that at some point you have diminishing returns when oversizing your return plumbing. The plumbing should be proportional to the pump size. For instance, if your vectra m1s outlet bushing is 3/4” and you go up to 2” plumbing, you would be losing flow velocity, even if your total return volume is greater due to reduced head pressure. But I’m certainly no expert on this topic.

To your other point, powerheads in the tank are much more efficient way to provide flow, compared to return flow or “closed loop” systems. But yes, there may be aesthetic concerns with that.

arowana718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Look at the last post with pics i put up

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that at some point you have diminishing returns when oversizing your return plumbing. The plumbing should be proportional to the pump size. For instance, if your vectra m1s outlet bushing is 3/4” and you go up to 2” plumbing, you would be losing flow velocity, even if your total return volume is greater due to reduced head pressure. But I’m certainly no expert on this topic.

To your other point, powerheads in the tank are much more efficient way to provide flow, compared to return flow or “closed loop” systems. But yes, there may be aesthetic concerns with that.

Ah that makes sense. Thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back