Dream Tank Finally Happening!

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all!! This has been a long time coming... soooo let’s get wet lol!

I'm beyond excited about this reef! This is pretty much my dream tank. My last tank was broken down 7 years ago, but it was a FOWLER and not nearly as big as I had dreamed. Part of the reason it was never as big was due to my previous living space being too small and on the second floor so it just wasn't made for anything like what I’m planning now.

I’m still in the planning phase for a lot of this, so for now, I'll share with you what is already done and tell you what the plans for this tank will be.

Display Tank: 265g 84" length x 24” width x 30" height built by my boss from my very first job Shoutout to Fish Collection (I used to work for a LFS in highschool and he since has sold the storefront and now exclusively does custom builds and tank maintenance)
  • Stand: Metal frame with shiny white acrylic (think waterbox)
  • Rock: CaribSea LifeRock
  • Sand: TBS ( I’ll probably only put some in the refugium part of the sump since I really like the look of barebottom SPS dominant tanks, but I’ve not 100% decided on what to do)
  • Sump: Custom sump made from a standard 75 gal tank by my old boss. Shoutout to Fish Collection again lol!
  • Protein Skimmer: ReefOctopus 250SSS
  • Additional Mechanical Filtration: ReefMat 1200 by Red Sea.
  • Return Pump: 2 L2 Vectras, one feeding a direct return and another feeding UV sterilizer and 3 manifolds for reactors.
  • Chemical Filtration: GFO / GAC / as needed. Also I’ll be running ozone with the Poseidon 200 by Ozotech and the Milwaukee Instruments ORP controller.
  • Refugium: The middle section of the sump will have a ball of chaeto and a Kessil A360X fuge light
  • Water Circulation: 2 of the Gyre XF350 pumps from Maxspect and 2 Nero 7 by AI
  • Lighting: 5 Reefi Uno Pro 2.0 with the arm mount
  • Calcium/Alkalinity/Magnesium: I plan on adding a kalkwasser reactor along with dosing 2-part once I have nice sps colonies established.
  • ATO: RO/DI will be directly dripped into the sump by a floating valve.
  • Heating: 2 Helios 500w titanium heaters with the inkbird controller
  • System Control: Still debating whether the Neptune Apex system is for me, I love the potential but I’m afraid I will waste its features by not properly using/programming it. (I’ve seen a bajillion vids on youtube and I’m still so confused about it all :’c )
  • Testing and Monitoring: Good old Salifert testing kits, maybe I’ll splurge on some Hannah Checkers (Highly open to suggestions)

Stocking (Fish):

I'm still debating a final stocking list, and I've got a few crazy ideas that will almost certainly not be happening. Here's a few of my current thoughts:
  • Clownfish pair (I used to have a mated Gold stripe maroon clownfish pair so I definitely think I want them again)
  • Maybe 2 or 3 tangs like a gem or black, along with a bristletooth and/or a Desjardini tang
  • Wrasses (I want plenty of wrasses… fairy wrasses, flasher wrasses all kinds of wrasses lol! I used to be part of the tang gang but now I think I want something… flashier lol)
  • Mandarin dragonet (maybe a pair)
  • Lawnmower blennie
  • A Koran angelfish (yes yes I know not exactly coral safe but my thought is to get a juvenile once I have plenty of strong established sps colonies so even if it nips them they’ll still be fine)
  • Pinktail Triggerfish ( Again maybe not thoroughly reef safe but I feel like there’ll be plenty of snails and hermit crabs to supplement his diet of frozen and pellet foods)
  • Anthias, maybe sunburst, pink square and lyretail?
  • any other suggestions for reef safe fish with weird personalities or striking coloration?
Stocking (Corals):

This will be a SPS dominant reef with maybeeee a few LPS or maybe even softies (granted they’ll be far down the tank and shielded by the rockwork from too much flow).

Stocking (Other Inverts): a couple skunk cleaner shrimp, your run of the mill CUC (TBS seems to have a decent package of varied species), maaaybeeee a gorgonian or 2 like a yellow finger gorgonian (Diodogorgia nodulifera)

So... these are my current plans... What do you guys think?

Btw I’ll be receiving the tank and stand this coming Tuesday February 27th.

OP
OP
coolali18

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the sketch I made for the custom built sump, some of the dimensions changed slightly but the overall theme remains, the first and 3rd compartments are smaller than the middle one which will serve as my refugium. The baffles will serve as a divider so that sand doesn’t get into the return pumps.
IMG_0378.jpeg

OP
OP
coolali18

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing your progress...congrats
Thank you! I will be sure to post loads of pics and updates. I’m gonna use this as a personal journal too see my…. Well….. journey lol

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exciting! It looks like you have everything well planned out. I look forward to watching your progress.

OP
OP
coolali18

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exciting! It looks like you have everything well planned out. I look forward to watching your progress.
Awww yissssss! Exciting does not even begin to describe my feelings lol! I have been planning for this for well over a year, finally pulled the trigger in getting the custom build at the beginning of january and it’ll finally arrive this tuesday

OP
OP
coolali18

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Let us know if we can help you with anything.
Thank you so much! I definitely will be asking a ton of questions either here on other forums lol! I’ve been out of the hobby for the last 7 years so I’ve much to learn, re-learn and remember. When I finally decided to start planning for this build I was flabbergasted at the thought of a reefmat. Like to me it seems genius! Lol I used to HATE having to change the filter socks and filter floss every other day, but now 70% of my stress owning a tank is gone lmaoooo

OP
OP
coolali18

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the IM controller that comes with the helio system. Mine has been bullet proof 3 years now.
Awesome! I’ll do that and save on having to buy the inkbird controller then
I had read great reviews about the inkbird controller but hey if the Helios controller works even better lol!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I’ll do that and save on having to buy the inkbird controller then
I had read great reviews about the inkbird controller but hey if the Helios controller works even better lol!
It's plug and play prest to 77. Audible alarm, built in safety features. With 2 heating elements you will always have redundancy.

OP
OP
coolali18

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so quick update, on 2/27 I received the tank and stand. I’ve got all the equipment now and I even decided to get colored pvc pipes (blue for draining, red for return along with schedule 80 unions, elbows, 45° angles, cepex valves, etc etc etc) butttt…. Y’all know theres always a but lol! At the last minute I decided to have the sump be fully custom made, not just a standard 75 gal tank with baffles slapped on. I altered the dimensions (58x18x18) and added an extra hole for the UV (now I’ll have it supplied by the manifold and return it to the main drain holes so it’s constantly recirculating and i can hasten or reduce the flow in order to take full advantage of the UV) I also adjusted the first chamber dimensions so I have room to play should I decide to add other equipment in the future (maybe an ozone reactor? calcium reactor? NYOS modular reactor? Lol the sky’s the limit I guess right?)
For flow I decided to go with 2 Gyre 4k and 2 MP60s
Lastly I opted to go with the Hydros control system (I got the X4 and WaveEngine LE for now, and if I like it I’ll add a full sized WaveEngine or maybe even a kraken and hook it up to a back up 12V battery as an emergency supply), from what I can see the Apex controller has a ton of issues, poor quality materials, and it’s supposedly near to impossible to secure replacement parts.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0641.jpeg
    IMG_0641.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 23

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back