Drilling corner overflow return line

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like to drill my 60 gallon frag that I'm going to use as a display. It has the drain hole already done but I would like to have a cleaner return line than over the side, I'm trying to be fancy I know.
It is a rimless 60 gallon with corner overflow. 20 gallon long DIY sump. It is drilled for 3/4" drain with 1" emergency. I will be running sicce sdc 3.0 return pump.
Questions are should I stay with a 3/4" return line or go with 1"? Also where should I put the returnline at? I was hoping to drill in the overflow area and use the already in place spots to give it a clean look.
Any advice or imput would be greatly appreciated.

20240505_142123.jpg 20240505_142133.jpg

benbalter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go inch it's easy to add a reducer that try to drill it again. As to where I would add ot to the other corner

OP
OP
Olefreebe

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the advice. You have a strong point about being able to use a reducer if needed.
Do you think the idea of putting it behind the overflow area and running it Out the premaid places for return would work?
Also i'm a little nervous about setting the tank on its side to drill. Any reassurance?

benbalter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to keep th
Appreciate the advice. You have a strong point about being able to use a reducer if needed.
Do you think the idea of putting it behind the overflow area and running it Out the premaid places for return would work?
Also i'm a little nervous about setting the tank on its side to drill. Any reassurance
Also i'm a little nervous about setting the tank on its side to drill. Any reassurance?
You need to keep the bit wet during the drill bit cutting part. You can use plumbers dope to make a dam. You could drill in the corner with the overflow but it makes it much harder to judge distance

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this your first time drilling? If so I’d get a few practice pieces and remember let the drills weight work, no pressure especially at the very end…
You could use a reducer but you also almost never see returns over 3/4” for that size tank…really no need for a pump requiring a 1” output …

OP
OP
Olefreebe

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah first time drilling. Practice pieces is a Great idea! Do ya think it will hurt to put the tank on its side? Being rimless has me wondering.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah first time drilling. Practice pieces is a Great idea! Do ya think it will hurt to put the tank on its side? Being rimless has me wondering.
No, in fact on the side, that’s the only practical way to do it.Ive probably ruined over 20 tanks, usually cracking the glass right before the saw penetrates the last 1/16” …
depending on where you drill you might want to rig up a bucket of cold water, hose and maxijet to flow into a “dam” of silly putty or plumbers putty ( around the drill site)
Basically you will want to have a constant flow of water while you drill …even a garden hose pointed at the hole will work
add/edit
more drilling tips:
-start your bit VERY slow, basically you want it to scratch a “channel” so your bit stays in place: wobble is bad and will result in a hole too large
- I made a template out of plexiglass. Basically I used 1/4” plexiglass cut with a hole saw the same diameter of my glass bit…again initial starting bit wobble is bad
- Absolutely NO a downward pressure, I can’t emphasize this enough, just let the bit work. You will hear a change in sound and vibration”feel” right before break through. It is then you make sure you lighten up your grip a lil….I’ve drilled 1/2” glass, it can take some time… Cheap bits on Amazon will work but IME only good for a few holes
Spend the extra $$$ for a bonified Lifegard bulkhead, other brands can work but a cheap cross threaded bulkhead is headaches

Last edited:
OP
OP
Olefreebe

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the advice everyone! Definitely going to practice and build some confidence up. Going bit shopping today. Will give an update when I go for it.

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, in fact on the side, that’s the only practical way to do it.Ive probably ruined over 20 tanks, usually cracking the glass right before the saw penetrates the last 1/16” …
depending on where you drill you might want to rig up a bucket of cold water, hose and maxijet to flow into a “dam” of silly putty or plumbers putty ( around the drill site)
Basically you will want to have a constant flow of water while you drill …even a garden hose pointed at the hole will work
add/edit
more drilling tips:
-start your bit VERY slow, basically you want it to scratch a “channel” so your bit stays in place: wobble is bad and will result in a hole too large
- I made a template out of plexiglass. Basically I used 1/4” plexiglass cut with a hole saw the same diameter of my glass bit…again initial starting bit wobble is bad
- Absolutely NO a downward pressure, I can’t emphasize this enough, just let the bit work. You will hear a change in sound and vibration”feel” right before break through. It is then you make sure you lighten up your grip a lil….I’ve drilled 1/2” glass, it can take some time… Cheap bits on Amazon will work but IME only good for a few holes
Spend the extra $$$ for a bonified Lifegard bulkhead, other brands can work but a cheap cross threaded bulkhead is headaches
Your comment about turning twenty tanks has my confidence dropped again, oh boy lol. I’ve dragged my feet for like 3 weeks ordering stuff because I was unsure if I’d try to drill lol

OP
OP
Olefreebe

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your comment about turning twenty tanks has my confidence dropped again, oh boy lol. I’ve dragged my feet for like 3 weeks ordering stuff because I was unsure if I’d try to drill lol
Same. I very nervous about it. Not sure if that little return over the edge is worth the stress...

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Practice on scrap glass, you will get the hang of it
Same. I very nervous about it. Not sure if that little return over the edge is worth the stress...
nervous, I can relate, I did a expensive frag tank with 1/2 glass …like I said, the bit will hum along for a while…you can actually feel it bite in…biggest thing is patients, especially right towards the end..again you will both hear and feel the glass as it almost punches through..
It is at that exact time to just be cool and let the bit punch through …one hates to boast I’m not but I’ve drilled a lot of tanks, that 20 tanks broke were 10’s and a fraction of the total

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you account for where the glass will drop out of the hole. You don't want to do an excellent job drilling and watch the plug fall through the glass on the other side.

OP
OP
Olefreebe

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you account for where the glass will drop out of the hole. You don't want to do an excellent job drilling and watch the plug fall through the glass on the other side.
Got masking tape left over from when I did the baffles in the sump. Thank you for reminder.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 164 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back