Drilling for bulkhead questions

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to drill my acrylic tank to put in a bulkhead to act as the return (from pump in sump back to tank)

It’s a 3k gph pump, sump is in stand under tank, so 4’ or so..... I have the bulkhead and it will all be plumbed with Sched 40 pvc, 1”

So. I want to drill it on the back panel. without knowing the precise waterline, can I just drill it a little low to be safe? I have a back-flow fitting thingy to keep it from overflowing the sump in the event of pump failure.

I pre-drilled a scrap piece to ensure proper fitting etc. It’s 3/4” Acrylic...... should I just stay 5-6” away from a corner, and how far from the too euro-bracing?

Thanks

CaliReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically stay 6” away from the corners when drilling for bulkheads. Keeping in mind the front of the bulkhead has the lip. Remember to drill slowly and in intervals because Acrylic gets hot and the heat can degrade the structural integrity of the tank panel.

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically stay 6” away from the corners when drilling for bulkheads. Keeping in mind the front of the bulkhead has the lip. Remember to drill slowly and in intervals because Acrylic gets hot and the heat can degrade the structural integrity of the tank panel.

What do you mean by “lip”? Since there is a gasket, and it is hand tightened, a round hole anywhere safe will be fine right?

Also, should I be more concerned about how shallow/deep to make the hole vs the waterline? I can only guess at the waterline right now

CaliReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The waterline is typically one or two inches below the overflow box teeth. But that varies depending on the return pump flow rate.

I keep return line bulk heads below the water line for a wide flow. The only time I drill the euro bracing is when using a variable section return for random flow.

CaliReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post pix of your tank? That would help me offer a clearer answer to help you if possible

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started adding water, to start some rocks etc, before the idea of drilling this happened! Either way. Here are some pictures

D8EDCCEB-88EF-4F51-9019-60F7072B2D45.jpeg
78DD51A0-BEDC-4074-9105-82EF3BE6D5A4.jpeg
ED59E09F-C8D8-41A8-B25D-47EC3D401FE3.jpeg

CaliReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. My advice would be to drill 3” below the teeth of the overflow box. Meaning the top of the bulkhead would be below the line of the teeth. That should help reduce splashing in the case you don’t plan to have additional pipe in the tank etc....

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do! Thanks!
Perfect. My advice would be to drill 3” below the teeth of the overflow box. Meaning the top of the bulkhead would be below the line of the teeth. That should help reduce splashing in the case you don’t plan to have additional pipe in the tank etc....

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be sure...... The overflow on the back is being plumbed for bean-animal. the external box is level with the tank top. So technically the waterline may be above the teeth? This is it with teeth removed
image.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 152 43.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 123 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 53 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back