Drink choice

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Peppermint Mocha Latte year round! Yep I'm that guy! Actually drinking one now! HA!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be a craft beer person and will still drink one on occasion but the IPA craze ruined it for me. I can't stand overly bitter beer and if an IPA isn't bitter, it isn't an IPA. Now, because so many people think they like IPA's but really don't, small brewers are starting to call anything an IPA to boost sales. I never know what I'm getting. When I go to Germany, I drink nothing but Weissbier, unfiltered if available.

If I'm in the mood for something sweeter, I'll take a margarita, preferably with Margaritaville mixer and Jose.

When it's time to sit back and enjoy the tank I normally drink Makers 46 or Don Julio anejo. I'll do higher end bourbons and tequila's on occasion, also.

OP
OP
Redfoxtang

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to be a craft beer person and will still drink one on occasion but the IPA craze ruined it for me. I can't stand overly bitter beer and if an IPA isn't bitter, it isn't an IPA. Now, because so many people think they like IPA's but really don't, small brewers are starting to call anything an IPA to boost sales. I never know what I'm getting. When I go to Germany, I drink nothing but Weissbier, unfiltered if available.

If I'm in the mood for something sweeter, I'll take a margarita, preferably with Margaritaville mixer and Jose.

When it's time to sit back and enjoy the tank I normally drink Makers 46 or Don Julio anejo. I'll do higher end bourbons and tequila's on occasion, also.
You couldn’t be any more correct that the IPA craze!! Our little micro brewery here does exactly that. They sell “IPAs” but they taste like a cider.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the thing with IPAs is if you develop a taste for them, they don't really taste bitter. your palette starts to taste the hops past the bitterness, whether they're piney hops or citrusy hops. you have to kind of want to like IPAs though, because i don't think most people like them on first taste. my friends and i were in a blue moon/newcastle phase when i first tried arrogant ******* and 90 minute IPA. my buddy and i read the back of arrogant ******* and it said something like "you're not man enough for this beer, you like fizzy yellow beer" and we were like no way dude we're totally man enough. we weren't. fun fact we tried an arrogant ******* like a year ago and still didn't like that beer, although it's not really an IPA.

over time i just ran into more hoppy beers and suddenly the hops didn't taste bitter, but rather had this next level taste to them.

if you don't like the bitterness i'd recommend trying session IPAs or hazy IPAs as those are designed to be the anti-west coast style extremely hop forward IPAs

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the thing with IPAs is if you develop a taste for them, they don't really taste bitter. your palette starts to taste the hops past the bitterness, whether they're piney hops or citrusy hops. you have to kind of want to like IPAs though, because i don't think most people like them on first taste. my friends and i were in a blue moon/newcastle phase when i first tried arrogant ******* and 90 minute IPA. my buddy and i read the back of arrogant ******* and it said something like "you're not man enough for this beer, you like fizzy yellow beer" and we were like no way dude we're totally man enough. we weren't. fun fact we tried an arrogant ******* like a year ago and still didn't like that beer, although it's not really an IPA.

over time i just ran into more hoppy beers and suddenly the hops didn't taste bitter, but rather had this next level taste to them.

if you don't like the bitterness i'd recommend trying session IPAs or hazy IPAs as those are designed to be the anti-west coast style extremely hop forward IPAs
I don't mind hoppy pale ales. My issue is that 20 years ago, IPA referred to a beer that was high in alcohol content and aged with hops which made it bitter. These were the two characteristics needed to allow the beer not to go bad when transported from England to India. Now, people will call any pale ale an IPA. Heck, I even see Belgian Pale Ales advertised as Belgian IPA's. I see IPA's advertised with alcohol content as low as 4%. They aren't IPA's, they are a different style of Pale Ale.

I know.. my bitter old man is showing through, but darn it, I liked it when words had meaning.

OP
OP
Redfoxtang

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got this on a BOGO just now!!

5C5E70F3-9120-4D16-8AC8-36F2904715E3.jpeg

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be enjoying this one in about two weeks or so. A hop forward blonde ale I racked on to a half gallon of simply orange no pulp on Saturday. I’m gonna dry hop it with an oz of hbc342 Saturday, then an oz of simcoe on the following Monday, then keg that weekend. 4156EA20-4AB0-4B67-ABB4-2353C4069F7C.jpeg

OP
OP
Redfoxtang

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll be enjoying this one in about two weeks or so. A hop forward blonde ale I racked on to a half gallon of simply orange no pulp on Saturday. I’m gonna dry hop it with an oz of hbc342 Saturday, then an oz of simcoe on the following Monday, then keg that weekend. 4156EA20-4AB0-4B67-ABB4-2353C4069F7C.jpeg
Wish I had room to start home brewing myself.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drink what I brew (hence the handle). Right now it’s a Begian Strong Dark Ale (aka quadruple or “quad”).

When it’s not beer, it’s bourbon, and if I had to pick one, it would be Blantons.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind hoppy pale ales. My issue is that 20 years ago, IPA referred to a beer that was high in alcohol content and aged with hops which made it bitter. These were the two characteristics needed to allow the beer not to go bad when transported from England to India. Now, people will call any pale ale an IPA. Heck, I even see Belgian Pale Ales advertised as Belgian IPA's. I see IPA's advertised with alcohol content as low as 4%. They aren't IPA's, they are a different style of Pale Ale.

I know.. my bitter old man is showing through, but darn it, I liked it when words had meaning.
Hey brew12, don’t know if it was intended or not, but I liked the “bitter” pun!

Anyway, I agree with the sentiment due to the history of the style. Might be interesting to you that the “rules” were changed in 2015 as to what qualifies as a sub-style of IPA. The Beer Judges Certification Program or BJCP published new style guidelines that year and created new specialty IPAs, with Belgians being one of them.

I agree that they aren’t “traditional” - but this is the new norm I guess. I fought the change for a while too, but now I’m all-in. Brewing to hit these technical differences is a challenge and is pretty fun. Then again, I’m a beer nerd!

23C22D68-AAEA-490E-A8EC-FE1830A88220.jpeg

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Redfoxtang, if you’re really interested, you can brew one gallon batches on any stovetop. You’ll get about 10-11 beers a batch. My wife doesn’t drink very much beer and I like to experiment so I end up brewing like this most of the time anymore. Another bonus to this is that I can brew more styles more often and if I screw one up in the name of experimentation, it isn’t a very big loss. Check out Northern Brewer or MoreBeer for 1-gal equipment. It’s pretty cheap too. You won’t need much to get started.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back