Dropping PH. Kalkwasser to the rescue, did I go too fast?

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I went out to get my first frag, a lovely GSP. When I left my house I looked at my parameters and other than a little high Nitrites I was in the zone for ok frag adoption. By the time I got home and put the frag in I waited a little while (about an hour) and the frag was not opening. I checked my parameters and my PH was 7.65 and dropping on my Apex. It was late in the evening so I couldnt run out to get some kalk at my LFS. I went to bed hoping it wouldn't drop any more overnight (knowing it would but hoping it was not too bad). I woke up at 1am and checked, it was 7.48 and dropping. I panicked and ran downstairs and did a 25% water change on my 60+20 tank. The PH gently rose back up to 7.7 (I use Meersaltz Pro Reef). Over the next 2 hours it dropped fast, down to 7.5. I ran a hose out from my skimmer out of my window. It did nothing. All I could do is wait until morning. I got some kalk and set up my Osmolator 3 ATO through a spare filter canister (sans filter) filled with Kalk. Once the ATO was done topping off I manually added a little bit to my sump every 20-45 minutes. I am finally at 8.3 but it took 5 hours or so.

Questions:
What caused this to drop so insanely fast in the first place? I do have pets other than my kids so I assume that may have added to the CO2
Raising up almost 1 point in 5 hours is that too fast?

That big spike in the middle of the lows is me recalibrating my PH sensor. I have 2 other sensors and they were all low but some a bit higher than Apex so I thought I should check it for calibration.

Other Parameters:
Salinity 1.025
ORP 177mv
Ammonia: 0.00 (Salifert)
DKH Now 9.0; During low 8.0 (Hanna)
Temp 78
Water change water is from 7 stage RODI

Thanks!

2024-02-10 15_48_02-APEX Fusion.png

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I bet your tank is new. Don't worry about ph. You'll be fine. Your probe probably isn't calculated that well. Even if it is, its okay. Don't do a water change for ph. New tanks seem to have an issue with ph being low due to lack of maturity. GSP is bulletproof. You pretty much have to set it on fire to kill it.

ph normally drops at night because there is no photosynthesis going on, its completely normal. A lot of people run their fuge at night to counter act it. Anything less than 7.8 is low, but don't worry. As long as the tank looks fine, just keep up with your water changes, and you'll be fine.

edit: just so you know kalk will add alkalinity and calcium....along with boosting ph. You'll get into trouble doing it with an ATO, and can get into trouble just dosing it if you're not careful.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH readings are not accurate unless you do a 2 point calibration with 7 and 10 pH solutions.

Since alkalinity is in the healthy range, the only cause of your potential pH issue is too much CO2. Most likely your home has too much CO2. Another very likely cause is false pH readings.

Calcium hydroxide (limewater or kalkwasser when mixed with water) should not be added solely for pH issues. It should be used to maintain calcium and alkalinity.

Your pH is likely fine. Tanks don’t commonly go below 7.8 unless CO2 is extremely high. Most commonly it’s false readings.

Take pH readings with a grain of salt.

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH readings are not accurate unless you do a 2 point calibration with 7 and 10 pH solutions.

Since alkalinity is in the healthy range, the only cause of your potential pH issue is too much CO2. Most likely your home has too much CO2. Another very likely cause is false pH readings.

Calcium hydroxide (limewater or kalkwasser when mixed with water) should not be added solely for pH issues. It should be used to maintain calcium and alkalinity.

Your pH is likely fine. Tanks don’t commonly go below 7.8 unless CO2 is extremely high. Most commonly it’s false readings.

Take pH readings with a grain of salt.
We have a very old home with terrible air circ. Personally I have high CO2 results during routine blood testing. We cracked the windows open today but only because its not 10F outside like it should be ;)

I did the 2 point calibration again with the 7 and 10 packets (I have a few spare packets).

The GSP is still closed so I hope now the PH matches my LFS that it may come back out (lights are on PAR is good).

Thanks!

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet your tank is new.Don't worry about ph. You'll be fine. Your probe probably isn't calculated that well. Even if it is, its okay. Don't do a water change for ph. New tanks seem to have an issue with ph being low due to lack of maturity. GSP is bulletproof. You pretty much have to set it on fire to kill it.

ph normally drops at night because there is no photosynthesis going on, its completely normal. A lot of people run their fuge at night to counter act it. Anything less than 7.8 is low, but don't worry. As long as the tank looks fine, just keep up with your water changes, and you'll be fine.

edit: just so you know kalk will add alkalinity and calcium....along with boosting ph. You'll get into trouble doing it with an ATO, and can get into trouble just dosing it if you're not careful.
Tank is new yes! Good to hear about the GSP - Its still not opened. It did open very little this morning when lights came on. Now my PH matches the LFS I hope it will come back.

Plan is to NOT use Kalk with the ATO. It was just a stop gap while waiting for my doser to arrive. Once it does Ill dose through the canister with the doser.

Thanks for the advice.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a very old home with terrible air circ. Personally I have high CO2 results during routine blood testing.
I suggest an indoor CO2 meter. They aren’t expensive on Amazon. They track CO2 24/7 and you will know when it’s time to get some fresh air by opening windows and doors.

Outside air should never read less than 400ppm CO2. Monitoring and managing CO2 can be very helpful to your health as well.

This is what I use:
Newentor CO2 Monitor, Indoor Air Quality Meters, Carbon Dioxide Detector with Voice Alert, Large Display CO2 Tester, Temperature Humidity Sensor, Alarm Clock for Home, RV, Grow Tents, 400-5000ppm
https://a.co/d/8oDJZVq

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
We have a very old home with terrible air circ. Personally I have high CO2 results during routine blood testing. We cracked the windows open today but only because its not 10F outside like it should be ;)

I did the 2 point calibration again with the 7 and 10 packets (I have a few spare packets).

The GSP is still closed so I hope now the PH matches my LFS that it may come back out (lights are on PAR is good).

Thanks!
If you have high co2 in your blood, its due to a health issue. It has nothing to do with the co2 in your house.

How did you measure the par? What is the actual number? What is your salinity, alkalinity, calcium,magnesium, nitrate, and phosphate? Those numbers are far more important than ph.

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have high co2 in your blood, its due to a health issue. It has nothing to do with the co2 in your house.

How did you measure the par? What is the actual number? What is your salinity, alkalinity, calcium,magnesium, nitrate, and phosphate? Those numbers are far more important than ph.
I have an apogee par meter. You want the number over the coral? I need to figure out how to one of those fancy par maps

Do want those numbers now? I posted most of them as they were as of time of posting. I have a variety of testers some Hanna, some Salifert, some unfortunately API. I mention this because some I can’t give hard numbers but a range.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back