OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did more research. This is the only product of its kind! People say it works within weeks. It was just released.

You have to order it and use it within 14 days of bottle date as it’s fresh ! All live and 6 kinds of strands ! I’m super excited about it!

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: My ammonia went down a little and now I’m sowing Nitrite! Good news. So my next guess is my nitrite will go to 0 and my Nitrate will go up? That means the bacteria is eating and populating ?

F63576EE-2BF9-4106-99A8-C224A649EBE2.jpeg

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock all the way for me. Just sharing me experience briefly... I have had two tanks over the past 10 years, soon to start my third. One with live, one with dry rock. The tank that had the live rock was much more painstaking to get the overall tank presentable and what I would classify as successful. From aiptasia to pests that can come along, and in my case did, live rock can be a hassle. It looks pretty to start, but if you have the patience, use dry rock, stay consistent with checking your water parameters, use a high quality salt, and as many have already said, the dry rock will look no different than purchased live rock.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, my nitrate seems to be in the 100. Now what do I do?

My nitrite is around 0.5 and Ammon dropped down around 0.5 as well.

I feel like a scientist it’s pretty cool to watch this happen . Do I wait until the ammona drops to zero or do I do a water change because my nitrate is high ? @Big G

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until the ammonia drops to zero and also until the nitrites drop to zero before water changes. The nitrite drop usually takes longer. So don't be surprised/disappointed that it seems to be taking "forever." Patience is the word. Nothing good happens quickly in this hobby.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until the ammonia drops to zero and also until the nitrites drop to zero before water changes. The nitrite drop usually takes longer. So don't be surprised/disappointed that it seems to be taking "forever." Patience is the word. Nothing good happens quickly in this hobby.

Thanks. Once they both change to 0 then I do a water change. Then I add ammonia and see if it drops to 0 within 24 hrs once it does then the nitrite should be 0 in 24hrs as well? Then I’m good?

Due to the fact it’s in a tub I should keep adding ammonia to feed the bacteria to keep it alive until my tank is ready? I’ll be buying coralline algae in a bottle that just came out and putting a light on my tub as well to start the growth process. You agree?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the time your nitrites drop to zero. Usually you have to do a rather large water change because the nitrates will be very, very high. At least 40-50% w/c. And then several more w/c of 25% range until you achieve the nitrate level you feel comfortable. Just wait a few hours at least between the w/c. But yes, by this time anytime you add ammonia it should drop back to zero within 24 hours of the dosage. As far as the new product you are interested in trying. You never know until you try something if it will work. There used to be a guy online that sold metal plates coated with coralline to help seed your tank. Haven't seen his product for awhile.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks for the info! It’s like 10 degrees outside so I’ll be reading all day lol it’s been -20 past few days...

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found the link for the coralline algae plates: http://www.ipsf.com/corallinebooster.html
So with him you get actual coralline algae on a metal plate to place into your tank. Hmm, I wonder which would work quicker?

Also a great option. I’m going with the bottled one. I like the fact there is 6 strands of algae in the bottle. I’m going to use a turkey baster to blast it over the rock ! Wish me luck ;)

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my coralline algae in a bottle. I did a 90% water change before adding it. My nitrates were around 100+ ppm before water change. After water change and adding algae my nitrates are still around 100. Like @Big G said I need to do a few water changes. How many you think? Are the nitrates in the rock? It’s a lot of work doing a water change and takes a lot of salt lol... this is for my bucket of rock that’s curing . I posted a pic of my rock out of water when I did the water change.

4AD87756-BB00-4861-9ACC-A7371C29E718.jpeg

63854DDA-525B-4A07-B817-B00648EA84F5.jpeg

7C49A189-A734-4B93-AF31-45A320BF936D.jpeg

HWDylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 3 tanks in with Dry Pukani and I am doing my next tank the same. If you aren't in a hurry (Hint: you shouldn't be in this hobby) dry rock is perfectly fine especially if you bleach it. My 75 gallon SPS dominant tank was done with all dry rock and it has never had any major issues linked to the rocks.

This hobby is all about patience. The wait for dry rock to cure and turn live is much easier than dealing with pests down the road.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Marco dry rock has been in the water for a little over a week now. Still not showing any PO4. I like that. Showing some nitrites and nitrates. Used a raw jumbo shrimp and some live bacteria from the local LFS. Forgot what it was called. Have some Dr Tims that I will add after a small water change. Had to add some ammonia to get the level up to start the cycle. Here is a picture of my tubs as I was getting started. Takes a while to make ro/di water to fill these things up.

Rock4.jpg

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great man! Keep us posted! I just added coraline algae to mine.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had lights on my rock for almost a week. I have added live coralline algae to it. Today I have little brown spots popping up. I assume this is normal and my nitrates are feeding it. This is my second 90% water change on my bucket of rocks and my nitrates are around 50 they where 100+ . Do I just keep doing water changes until my nitrates hit 0? My nitrites show 10

ThNka!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hold off on any more water changes until you see the nitrites hit "0". They should drop very fast once the cycle is done. Then rid your self of most of the nitrates with a water change.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hold off on any more water changes until you see the nitrites hit "0". They should drop very fast once the cycle is done. Then rid your self of most of the nitrates with a water change.

Thanks.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back