Dual Drains and ReefMat

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the ReefMat has two inlets, but those are for convenience of which side your drain goes in. But could I somehow buy an extra hose and use it on the second inlet? Is there a better way?

Anyone here have multiple drains and use the ReefMat 1200?

Thanks!

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried using a dual drain as my water was getting to clean. I had to switch back, the water was almost skipping the mat all together following path of least resistance and my water started getting cloudy.

edit: oh my bad, looks like a dual inlet for the reef mat. So just ignore me lol

Eagle78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did juste connect my double drain from overflow to 1 inlet in reefmat. I use a ''T'' connection. And slow down the return pomp by 1/3

ConsummatePro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently T’ing 2 durso drains into one side of my Reefmat 1200 but it does leave lots of bubbles inside the Reefmat. I about to convert my dual durso overflow into a dual Herbie and am debating how to do this: I understand you shouldn’t T in the herbie drains as they will affect the tuning of the drain.

I’m considering putting the drains into the opposite sides as well. This thread shows how one member used a schedule 80 union part to convert to hard plumbing. It looks like a good way to go.

TonyaGilmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest putting drains on both sides as well. This thread demonstrates how one member converted to challenging plumbing using a schedule 80 union part. It is a viable option.

mikel1911111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did juste connect my double drain from overflow to 1 inlet in reefmat. I use a ''T'' connection. And slow down the return pomp by 1/3
Did you get any gurgling in the reef mat after teeing 2 drains. I did this and the reef Mat is bubbling like crazy and very loud. I wonder if a wye connection instead of a tee would fix this?

mikel1911111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently T’ing 2 durso drains into one side of my Reefmat 1200 but it does leave lots of bubbles inside the Reefmat. I about to convert my dual durso overflow into a dual Herbie and am debating how to do this: I understand you shouldn’t T in the herbie drains as they will affect the tuning of the drain.

I’m considering putting the drains into the opposite sides as well. This thread shows how one member used a schedule 80 union part to convert to hard plumbing. It looks like a good way to go.

I also tee’d two drains and am getting the same loud bubbling. Did you figure out how to resolve this? Do you think a wye fitting would fix this?

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone figured this out? I had a single drain to my reefmat for the past 2 years but just moved and swapped tanks. My lfs setup dual drains in the new tank but they slowed down the one drain with my reefmat so much that it doesn't seem to be pulling much. Trying to figure out what to do.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back