Dual Gyre settings.

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded from a single icecap 3k gyre to 2 Maxspect xf230’s. I am having a heck of a time figuring out the best settings. I tried OTC at 30% but I think it’s too much my BTA keeps moving and can’t seem to find a spot he is happy with. It’s a 90 gallon mixed reef tank. Right now I am trying 30% pulse for 10 seconds then it swaps to the other gyre and does the same.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines a 4’. I think I will try the random mode. I wanted to get an idea what works for other people running two gyres in a 4’ tank. The BTA has been on the move since for over a month now. Just can’t seem to find his happy place.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out @pelphrey 's build, he put his gyre settings on there.

I found running them both at the same time produces too much drag on the bottom of my shallow tank (16" vs your 24", otherwise the same) and the sand blows everywhere, so now run with one on at a time, alternating 10% for an hour each. If the ICV6 ever gets both gyre and apex support, I'll tune them closer to how the jebao sw-4's are operating (with burst periods every hour, etc).

As the tank matures and I get more coral to deflect flow, increasing the speed will be attempted.

** Forgot to add, the only thing my RBTA did when moving to the new tank, and having dual gyres is split into three clones from one (~approx 9" wide anemone). All three of the splits have remained on the same rock, sort of under the right side gyre.

Last edited:

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my setting on my build thread, my YouTube channel and easily found on my website pelphrey.net!

There is also a video CJ did on the advanced controller settings on my website. The controller for the gyres is really nice and allows you to create I believe 24 set points.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my setting on my build thread, my YouTube channel and easily found on my website pelphrey.net!

There is also a video CJ did on the advanced controller settings on my website. The controller for the gyres is really nice and allows you to create I believe 24 set points.

Thank you. That video was helpful. Right now I am trying both pumps on random up to 50%. When I have time I will try out your program. My question is there a trick to aiming the cages. They seem very touchy. Too far up and the water is shooting almost straight up. Tiny adjustment down really kills the wave. My other question is I am using both pumps with the props that came installed. Pump B was bought without the controller. Did that come with the same props installed as the master?

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 90 I run my 2 gyre 230s in LTC mode with a Max of 100% . I have mostly lps with some zoas and 1 montipora. It doesn’t seem too strong it’s only something like .2 second pulses everything seems to be swaying nicely.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. That video was helpful. Right now I am trying both pumps on random up to 50%. When I have time I will try out your program. My question is there a trick to aiming the cages. They seem very touchy. Too far up and the water is shooting almost straight up. Tiny adjustment down really kills the wave. My other question is I am using both pumps with the props that came installed. Pump B was bought without the controller. Did that come with the same props installed as the master?

I have my cages pointed all the close to all the way up. My pumps are probably 4-6” below the water line. Any higher and when the water collides it creates bubbles (3’ tank problems!).

I bought my second pump as the “pump only” and never once looked at the cages! Haha I took it out of the box and put it on the tank. Never once crossed my mind to look at it. But maybe I should!

John494

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the OGC at about 20% and I aim it a little towards the top. I have softies and LPS (no BTA). I have a 75 gallon 4' tank. I had it on 30% for a while and I had no issue with the corals but found it a little annoying cause it moves a lot of sand. After changing it to 20% and redirecting the flow to the top, it significantly reduced the issue. I'm using the special grade sand, I believe from cora life.

John

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my cages pointed all the close to all the way up. My pumps are probably 4-6” below the water line. Any higher and when the water collides it creates bubbles (3’ tank problems!).

I bought my second pump as the “pump only” and never once looked at the cages! Haha I took it out of the box and put it on the tank. Never once crossed my mind to look at it. But maybe I should!

Maybe I will lower my pumps. I have mine about 2" below and I am running into the same issue. When the waves collide they create little vortechs and make a lot of bubbles.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I will lower my pumps. I have mine about 2" below and I am running into the same issue. When the waves collide they create little vortechs and make a lot of bubbles.

That was my issue! Luckily they are easy to move without sticking your hand in the tank. Which also makes cleaning the glass easy, lower pump scrape glass and put pump back in place without getting your hands wet!

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll definitely have to check that out then. $50 is way better than $250 for 2 icecap apex modules which is what I was considering.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll definitely have to check that out then. $50 is way better than $250 for 2 icecap apex modules which is what I was considering.

I have used the Icecap apex module with battery backup and they do work nice.. Very hard to program though and I just used Carlos video for programming.
I got the advanced controller for my next setup which was way better than the original stand alone controller and allowed for two to run together.

The connect is very easy to use on the phone or tablet with the app.. I am going to have multiple gyre systems so it is nice to be able to access them from one spot.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back