Duncan coral hasn’t opened for 2 weeks

itzyoboiricky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Duncan coral has been closed for two weeks and i’m starting to worry what should i do i’ve tried moving it but it only opens very little and closes again

image.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really need a pic under white lights (turn off the blue's), can't see clearly in the pic, but it looks like a hole where the polyp should be. Need water parameters also, tank age, lights and flow info.

OP
OP
itzyoboiricky

itzyoboiricky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really need a pic under white lights (turn off the blue's), can't see clearly in the pic, but it looks like a hole where the polyp should be. Need water parameters also, tank age, lights and flow info.
Rn i don’t have the water parameters but i did do the ammonia and it came out to zero salinity is 1.026 and temperature is 79 hopefully soon ill get the rest of my parameters and here the picture however everything seems to be well it’s just that coral my other Duncan is perfect

Attachments

• IMG_2177.jpeg
    IMG_2177.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
itzyoboiricky

itzyoboiricky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post a pic under white light and parameters but in what I can see the tissue is gone.
i think it might be my lighting i’m not sure but i think it might be strong i have it at over 1,000 lux and in the bottom where the coral is at is reaches to 800 lux so i turned them down a bit

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rn i don’t have the water parameters but i did do the ammonia and it came out to zero salinity is 1.026 and temperature is 79 hopefully soon ill get the rest of my parameters and here the picture however everything seems to be well it’s just that coral my other Duncan is perfect
I’m not sure I can contribute much but that is the finest sugar sand I’ve ever seen! What kind of sand did you use?

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move it to a different spot with less light and flow (not sure of your flow but my Duncans seems to do well in a slow flow wave motion). I have around 125 PAR where my Duncans are and they seem to thrive. That also assumes your water parameters are reasonable too.

OP
OP
itzyoboiricky

itzyoboiricky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move it to a different spot with less light and flow (not sure of your flow but my Duncans seems to do well in a slow flow wave motion). I have around 125 PAR where my Duncans are and they seem to thrive. That also assumes your water parameters are reasonable yeah i’m gonna attempt to bring down my flow cause i have a aqua clear 70 on a 20 gallon plus a wave maker and i think with the filter it’s enough so i’ll give that a try

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping coral is keeping water. If you don't know the water parameters, you don't know if the tank can keep coral.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My Duncan coral has been closed for two weeks and i’m starting to worry what should i do i’ve tried moving it but it only opens very little and closes again

image.jpg
They require simple moderate light and flow. if this is a new/newer tank, there may be elevated phosphate and/or nitrate contributing to this. Additionally are you using tap water from faucet or RODI water?
What light are you using?

OP
OP
itzyoboiricky

itzyoboiricky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping coral is keeping water. If you don't know the water parameters, you don't know if the tank can keep coral.
well that’s not always true i was taught that as long as everything in the tank looks good then don’t even check your parameters cause at the end of the day your gonna stress yourself and the fish along with your corals due to the changes in the water when in reality everything had already been good according to your fish and corals. but rn at the time im currently out of test but hopefully this saturday i purchase my master reef kit thanks for the advice tho! also the only parameter i check mostly daily is the Salinity.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well that’s not always true i was taught that as long as everything in the tank looks good then don’t even check your parameters cause at the end of the day your gonna stress yourself and the fish along with your corals due to the changes in the water when in reality everything had already been good according to your fish and corals. but rn at the time im currently out of test but hopefully this saturday i purchase my master reef kit thanks for the advice tho! also the only parameter i check mostly daily is the Salinity.

I strongly disagree with the first statement. As someone who worked at 2 LFS and had to deal with fixing people's tanks, the tanks that had problems were the ones where they were not testing. Reef keeping is water keeping. The corals will simply grow and thrive if the water is in the right range. It is easy to say don't pay attention to numbers, but that's the only way to know what is happening with the tank. If you go simply by looking at the corals, you often don't know until it's too late. Sure, you don't need to stress over having an exact number all the time. It's about keeping parameters in an ideal range, not an ideal value. Corals thrive when the water is stable, and there is a happy medium behind exact value precision and not testing at all.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of agree with that statement but it is incomplete. Until params are stable testing should be done often. Once they are stable its fine to relax your testing schedule to only focus on the values that tend to fluctuate in that tank the most. Testing is not a chore, many people see it as an inconvenient chore and others see it as a vital chore, but its not either of those. Testing your water is part of the process of learning your tank, every tank is a little different and once you learn how that tank wants to be and where it needs development then you'll have a stable tank. To say there is no problem until a problem is seen is a bit foolish because what is then seen is the consequence of a problem, and then some forensics are needed to identify the problem. But, if the mindset is "I need to test so I know what to immediately correct" its very easy for that to lead to an unstable tank, because the tanks keeper isnt stable themselves. And both of those tend to lead to knee jerk reactions, which is the antithesis of stability. When really it should be like a conversation: "hey, reef, how ya doing? Cool." Consistency over time creates inevitability, that doesnt come in a bottle and cant be bought at a store, it comes from diligence. And that doesnt just apply to reefing.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't check occasionally, you'll have no way to know what's different than it used to be, and therefore no way to know if it's having an affect.

You can check numbers without chasing them.

OP
OP
itzyoboiricky

itzyoboiricky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't check occasionally, you'll have no way to know what's different than it used to be, and therefore no way to know if it's having an affect.

You can check numbers without chasing them.
that ofc but like most people check like every week and that’s just not necessary for me i just get test strips and if i see something unusual i go to petco to get the more accurate results

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back