Dwarf Lionfish question

PeterZammetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a small max size 5 inch dwarf lionfish at petco i might add in a 30 gallon tank. Would it fit, and what are the best tankmates. Some people have clownfish and they are fine with them. What fish would be best?
-can i keep a dwarf lionfish in a 30g? Yes
-what fish can i put with the lionfish if any? Any that are larger than his mouth. They usually leave inhabitants that were there first alone.
-what should i feed it? Either frozen carnivorous food. To be honest, I give non frozen, thawed shrimp and have some myself as I feed him.
-what kind of decor/substrate should i keep in there? He needs ledges and caverns to hide through the day. They have the best personality (clowns are second in that category)
-are there any special things for lionfish i need? Remember no touchy. If you are allergic, and you don't know until stung, they can kill you. On that note. 99.9% they will never go at you unless your feeding. DO NOT feed with hand use long tweezer until you are comfortable with them.

ALSO: You can feed them every 3 days as normal but, I personally feed 1/2 shrimp everyday. Adjust accordingly

Tank maturity meter:
1 month Cleanup crew and 1 fish (2 if clowns)
2 months Specific coral (like softie's)
3 months anemone ok
6 months dwarf lion ok

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-can i keep a dwarf lionfish in a 30g? Yes
-what fish can i put with the lionfish if any? Any that are larger than his mouth. They usually leave inhabitants that were there first alone.
-what should i feed it? Either frozen carnivorous food. To be honest, I give non frozen, thawed shrimp and have some myself as I feed him.
-what kind of decor/substrate should i keep in there? He needs ledges and caverns to hide through the day. They have the best personality (clowns are second in that category)
-are there any special things for lionfish i need? Remember no touchy. If you are allergic, and you don't know until stung, they can kill you. On that note. 99.9% they will never go at you unless your feeding. DO NOT feed with hand use long tweezer until you are comfortable with them.

ALSO: You can feed them every 3 days as normal but, I personally feed 1/2 shrimp everyday. Adjust accordingly

Tank maturity meter:
1 month Cleanup crew and 1 fish (2 if clowns)
2 months Specific coral (like softie's)
3 months anemone ok
6 months dwarf lion ok
thanks!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 30 gallons there isn’t too much space for prey to escape. Angler with one in a 30 probably isn’t a good idea, only room for one predator.
Big damsels are good but may get mean. Anything tall bodied is safer than an elongated fish like a goby or a blenny.
Mollies would probably be fine or at least breed as fast as they get eaten.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back