Dwarf Seahorse Feeding

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do dwarf seahorses eat pods as fast as mandarin dragonets? What kind of pods are best for them? What else do they eat? I’m curious about them and thought about making my next tank a seahorse habitat. I have read to keep a steady baby brine hatchery and feed twice a day. I found captive bred ones for sale and didn’t want to jump on it yet.

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed enriched baby brine shrimp three times a day - I use decapsulated eggs to hatch from as well as it makes them a little more nutritious. I've experimented with pods, but I haven't really found pods that they seem to eat as reliably. When I feed, I use a pipette to target feed any of the seahorses I see and then net in the remaining of the batch for that time slot. I use enrichment powder from Alyssa's seahorses for the bbs, and basically you want to hatch, and then add the enrichment powder for a minimum of 12 hours but preferably closer to 24 hours prior to feeding.

Redemptioner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do dwarf seahorses eat pods as fast as mandarin dragonets? What kind of pods are best for them? What else do they eat? I’m curious about them and thought about making my next tank a seahorse habitat. I have read to keep a steady baby brine hatchery and feed twice a day. I found captive bred ones for sale and didn’t want to jump on it yet.
Depending on the size of the horsey and the pods, they actually will eat way more than the mandarins because they basically have no digestive system. It is funny as they will spend a bunch of time chasing a live saltwater mysis shrimp around the tank and fail, but then sit an eat 30 pods without moving. Setting up a corner feeding station removes the need of so many feedings a day or the the need for growing live food, it also drastically reduces the waste production. The food station also means most of the live foods can be left for other more demanding creatures like the mandarins.

All seahorse should be captive bred as there is an international ban on collecting seahorses from the wild......

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back