Dwarf Seahorse

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey y’all any recommendations on tank temp for dwarf seahorses? And best preferred salinity levels? I heard temp was better around 74 degrees? Also any thoughts on single fish additions?

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all any recommendations on tank temp for dwarf seahorses? And best preferred salinity levels? I heard temp was better around 74 degrees? Also any thoughts on single fish additions?
They require 70-74 F. In wild, they live for only 1 year. Live artemia and rotifiers will be the food source as Pods. They require daily live feedings. They r hard to care. Salinity should be 1.023 and flow should be low-moderate.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They require 70-74 F. In wild, they live for only 1 year. Live artemia and rotifiers will be the food source as Pods. They require daily live feedings. They r hard to care. Salinity should be 1.023 and flow should be low-moderate.
Would you recommend a normal seahorse over a dwarf? I have a 17 gallon Fluval

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u give a good feeding and environment u will see them enjoying and will live more. Large species may live to max 5 yrs. But I think captive bred seahorses are quite hardy. All the greater seahorses should have a minimum of 30 gallons for 1 pair. Still they take a lot of maintenance because of which I don't keep seahorses now as my seller told me they will eat pellets. They need 3× feeding with good filtration. In 17 gallons u may keep dwarf seahorses but they r hard to care. In 17 gallons u may keep more than 2 dwarf seahorses in your tank

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If u give a good feeding and environment u will see them enjoying and will live more. Large species may live to max 5 yrs. But I think captive bred seahorses are quite hardy. All the greater seahorses should have a minimum of 30 gallons for 1 pair. Still they take a lot of maintenance because of which I don't keep seahorses now as my seller told me they will eat pellets. They need 3× feeding with good filtration. In 17 gallons u may keep dwarf seahorses but they r hard to care. In 17 gallons u may keep more than 2 dwarf seahorses in your tank
My nitrite is .35 ppm ammonia is at 0. My salinity is at 1.025 and my temp is 77. I aim to drop my temperature to 73 degrees by Thursday and do a 10%water change

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gonna be honest here and say that you should wait until you are a bit more experienced with saltwater before trying out any seahorse. Dwarfs are very hard to take care of but mostly due to the live feeding. You need to know how to keep a steady stock of brine shrimp at all times which is a big time investment especially in the beginning.
Normal size seahorse species should not be attempted in a 17 gallon tank (does fluval make a 17 gallon because I would like to know the dimensions? Cool volume tank I havent ever seen)

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go for it make sure to start the brine shrimp in advance, it will give you an idea of what you are in for. It is pretty much like setting up 2 tanks, given the effort necessary

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you go for it make sure to start the brine shrimp in advance, it will give you an idea of what you are in for. It is pretty much like setting up 2 tanks, given the effort necessary
I have been hatching for a week now, I am unsure if I keep the old water but they are still hatching constantly

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
72-74 is happy median while they will tolerate 76. Id rather warmer than colder. I would not recommend a tankmate other than a small shrimp as seahorses move very slowly often awaiting food to get to them and a tankmate will steal the food before they get a chance to eat

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
72-74 is happy median while they will tolerate 76. Id rather warmer than colder. I would not recommend a tankmate other than a small shrimp as seahorses move very slowly often awaiting food to get to them and a tankmate will steal the food before they get a chance to eat
Currently I have one bumble snail, one Margarita snail, and one blue legged hermit crab. I was planning on adding a peppermint shrimp and that’s it. Currently tank temp is 75.1

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Currently I have one bumble snail, one Margarita snail, and one blue legged hermit crab. I was planning on adding a peppermint shrimp and that’s it. Currently tank temp is 75.1
That should be sufficient

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend against instant ocean live bbs in a jar?
They arent alive in the jar, i have used it and some may hatch from it as there are some eggs but the majority are already dead and cant be used for dwarf seahorses

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back