Dwarf Seahorse

Cichlid23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have this tank with a heard of about 20 dwarf seahorses and some dwarf pipefish and I know just about every coral can kill them, even mushrooms and zoas, with gorgonian being the only exception I know of. I was just curious if there was any others people had experience with? My assumption was that most leathers wouldn't do any damage, but I don't know, so wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this or and explanation as to why if they aren't safe?

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have this tank with a heard of about 20 dwarf seahorses and some dwarf pipefish and I know just about every coral can kill them, even mushrooms and zoas, with gorgonian being the only exception I know of. I was just curious if there was any others people had experience with? My assumption was that most leathers wouldn't do any damage, but I don't know, so wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this or and explanation as to why if they aren't safe?
Alyssa's Seahorse Savvy has a lot of different options for seahorse-safe corals and other tank mates. You might find some information by reading through this site.

TalkinTangie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let us know what you decide. I have a decent size herd too, and have stuck to the guidance from my supplier of fake plants and less of just about anything.

But I would love to create a more natural environment both for the horses and for the looks. Would love to hear and see what you decide to do.

I still enjoy the tank, but the natural look appeals to me more.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Alyssa. Go to her website lots of good info. You can also contact her with questions.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think clove(esp blue clove) /gsp/cabbage coral (the leather), and pipe organ should be fine. I also can’t imagine why pulsing xenia wouldn’t also be fine

Redemptioner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most corals are fine with them (assuming they will live in the same conditions as your herd), just not the ones with nematocytes or heavy feeding responses like euphyllia's. My stable is in a reef tank and do just fine :)

Like anything going into a seahorse tank (including the seahorses themselves), it has to survive a 8-12min dip in RO/DI water first before going into the tank, there are many corals that won't like this very much....

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back