Dying Birdsnest? Maybe?

Canaan Gary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had two Birdsnest for about a month and they’ve been perfect and now all of a sudden, one of them just turned solid white. It literally happened overnight. The other one is perfectly fine.

9E3BA746-660C-4E71-9EE3-C940C650CED2.jpeg

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that one looks dead buddy if there’s polyps then there’s hope it will eventually recover however that just looks like pure white dead skeleton

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep sps will rtn like that writhin a very short amount of time. Clearly something wasn’t happy with them. Birdsnests from my experience are super susceptible to alk issues. How stable has your alk been over the past few days/weeks?
Also your other birdsnest is showing skeleton in certain areas, especially near the tips. I wouldn’t call it perfectly fine. Any other sps in the tank?

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other sps? 7 is perfectly fine. Nutrient levels (nitrate, phosphate?) Were you testing it everyday while bringing it up? Birdsnests are super finicky from my experience.

OP
OP
C

Canaan Gary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other sps? 7 is perfectly fine. Nutrient levels (nitrate, phosphate?) Were you testing it everyday while bringing it up? Birdsnests are super finicky from my experience.
I tested it about every other day. I didn’t go above 8.5. My nitrates are about five and my phosphates are below .25
Calc 460
Alk 8
Mg ?
Nitrate 4
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Phosphate < .25
pH 7.9
Salinity 1.0235

OP
OP
C

Canaan Gary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And no, I don’t have any other sps. I tried a monti a while back but it died. The second Birdsnest lost almost all its polyps today

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your salinity is relatively low. Are you using a refractometer? When was the last time it was calibrated if so? If you’re having issues with sps there is definitely something going on either with a parameter not being stable or possibly the salinity.
Also, I see coralline and such so your tank doesn’t seem new. Birdsnests imo suck, they’re super finicky and even if they get massive will shade themselves and cause stn or rtn. I’d definitely try bumping salinity up and get a better phosphate checker if you want to keep trying sps. Just knowing less than .25 with sps is not helpful. Really the Hanna kit is the only reliable phosphate kit in the hobby.

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't keep a Birdsnest alive to save my life. Acros seem to do ok and grow, birdnest and montis just die. Most frustrating thing ever, I think some tanks just grow certain corals and not others. Ignore the easy vs difficult corals, its whatever your tank can grow lol.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't keep a Birdsnest alive to save my life. Acros seem to do ok and grow, birdnest and montis just die. Most frustrating thing ever, I think some tanks just grow certain corals and not others. Ignore the easy vs difficult corals, its whatever your tank can grow lol.
your PH is pretty low, maybe its that

Afterburner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my birdsnests die overnight one at a time like that a few years ago, then I lost my torch and other corals one by one over the next 6 weeks. I eventually did a ICP test and found out that zinc (I think) was off the charts high and the ICP test said it was probably a magnet. Sure enough, I found the culprit was a magnet and did a ton of water changes to save my remaining corals. The interesting thing is that the torch in it’s distress spawned tiny torches all over the tank. I actually need to get another birds nest just to use it like a canary in a coal mine to identify issues right when they start.

Back