OP
OP
TheGrimReeferTx

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye its probably your nutrients being way too low for the corals to survive. Imo i would start by physically removing gha and adding snails to help you get rid of them then slowly increase nitrates and phos
What should my ideal Nitrates and Phos be? 10-20ppm and .03 respectively?

I can lower the amount of time my Chaeto receives light and start feeding more to get these up. I have a few urchins that are taking out the algae I have. But its not too much or overpowering IMO.

FTS (2).jpg

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done ICP? I was in the same situation turned out I had aluminium and no trace elements.

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should my ideal Nitrates and Phos be? 10-20ppm and .03 respectively?

I can lower the amount of time my Chaeto receives light and start feeding more to get these up. I have a few urchins that are taking out the algae I have. But its not too much or overpowering IMO.

FTS (2).jpg
You have chaeto? Is your chaeto bleaching? If not then nutrients might actually not the problem but ye just keep the nitrates and phos on safe side which is 0.03-0.05 and nitrates never below 10

OP
OP
TheGrimReeferTx

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are you running?
Radion XR15 G5 Blues. I have 3 of them. I was running them on AB+ 50%. Today I turned it down to 40% until I figure out what the issue is and address it. It is a 9 hour light cycle with a 30 minute ramp up and down period.

I did par map my tank. And everything should be right at what they like according to online.

OP
OP
TheGrimReeferTx

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have chaeto? Is your chaeto bleaching? If not then nutrients might actually not the problem but ye just keep the nitrates and phos on safe side which is 0.03-0.05 and nitrates never below 10
I do have chaeto and grow it like wildfire. I have been running 16 on, 8 off. The concept I have been working with is heavy in, heavy out.

I also run a protein skimmer with that stuff to increase PH (cant recall the name, too lazy to look) and keep PH from 8.0 to 8.3 consistently.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radion XR15 G5 Blues. I have 3 of them. I was running them on AB+ 50%. Today I turned it down to 40% until I figure out what the issue is and address it. It is a 9 hour light cycle with a 30 minute ramp up and down period.

I did par map my tank. And everything should be right at what they like according to online.
I doubt your par check was correct. I have the same lights over the same size tank. They are weak par lights. I run mine at 100% intensity on AB program and my corals thrive.

OP
OP
TheGrimReeferTx

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt your par check was correct. I have the same lights over the same size tank. They are weak par lights. I run mine at 100% intensity on AB program and my corals thrive.
WHATTTTT, with LPS and such? Are you sure? From what I had read online 40-50% seemed pretty common when I was looking into it.

This is a 100g display 30g sump. Can you upload a FTS of your tank? How long do you run your AB+?

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have chaeto and grow it like wildfire. I have been running 16 on, 8 off. The concept I have been working with is heavy in, heavy out.

I also run a protein skimmer with that stuff to increase PH (cant recall the name, too lazy to look) and keep PH from 8.0 to 8.3 consistently.
Something might be eating your corals :0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHATTTTT, with LPS and such? Are you sure? From what I had read online 40-50% seemed pretty common when I was looking into it.

This is a 100g display 30g sump. Can you upload a FTS of your tank? How long do you run your AB+?
My tank is 80g with gen 5 XR15 lights running 100% intensity. Tank is 2.5 years old. Last year I par checked my tank with a rented par meter and discovered how low my par was and how weak the XR15 lights are. I do use diffusers but I tested them and only 15 to 20 par less then without diffusers. 10 hour run with hour ramp up and hour ramp down.

20230822_140745.jpg

OP
OP
TheGrimReeferTx

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, amazing tank and it looks great. I am trying to find examples of what under par over time looks like on corals to try and see if that could be it. The thing that makes me think it isnt, is that I didnt see tons of extension in the corals just about ever. Maybe that is due to too much flow. But I will have to look into the par issue further.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, amazing tank and it looks great. I am trying to find examples of what under par over time looks like on corals to try and see if that could be it. The thing that makes me think it isnt, is that I didnt see tons of extension in the corals just about ever. Maybe that is due to too much flow. But I will have to look into the par issue further.
I was running 50% intensity and lost some corals early on then bumped up to 70% and corals were ok but not growing. Once I ramped up to 100% everything exploded.

I also turned flow way down. I run 2 MP40s at 26% during the day ramping down to 20% overnight and LPS love it.

Your tank is only 6 months old. Euphyllia are very difficult in a young tank until your biome matures. You need to increase biodiversity and microfauna. Pods and phytoplankton. Dose PNS probio which is a natural heterotrophic bacteria that eliminates organic waste. Nitrates 10 to 15, phosphate. 05 to .1.

OP
OP
TheGrimReeferTx

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always dose a little chaeto gro between water changes to make sure trace elements are good.
Sounds good, I did just do a 30% water change over the past two days. So that should have added trace. I plan to do 15% every week for the foreseeable future to help keep the trace up and bad stuff down.

OP
OP
TheGrimReeferTx

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running 50% intensity and lost some corals early on then bumped up to 70% and corals were ok but not growing. Once I ramped up to 100% everything exploded.

I also turned flow way down. I run 2 MP40s at 26% during the day ramping down to 20% overnight and LPS love it.

Your tank is only 6 months old. Euphyllia are very difficult in a young tank until your biome matures. You need to increase biodiversity and microfauna. Pods and phytoplankton. Dose PNS probio which is a natural heterotrophic bacteria that eliminates organic waste. Nitrates 10 to 15, phosphate. 05 to .1.
With you saying that, I am thinking flow might have been the issue. I was running the reef wave on random wave up to 50% strength. The MP40 although new, I was running it on reef crest at 50%.

I have lowered the Reefwave to 30% on random, and the MP40 to 20% on Tidal Swell.

What program do you run your MP40s on?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With you saying that, I am thinking flow might have been the issue. I was running the reef wave on random wave up to 50% strength. The MP40 although new, I was running it on reef crest at 50%.

I have lowered the Reefwave to 30% on random, and the MP40 to 20% on Tidal Swell.

What program do you run your MP40s on?
I run them on reef crest only at 26% during the day and 20 overnight.

Your blue XR15 lights penetrate deeper then my pros slightly so little better par but I bet you will want to be 85% maybe even 90.

You can use the photone app to get a ballpark par number at water surface. It's decent accuracy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back