Dying Fish???

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an established reef with many limited edition coral including SPS, LPS and solfties. It contains about 130 gallons including the sump. The water/perameters are perfect and the coral grow like crazy. I had a Clark Clown, Kole Tang, Yellow Tang and Spotted Mandarin in the tank for a couple of years. About 3 months ago the Clown and both Tangs died within a week, all of them dying during the night. But, I still have the Mandarin that I have had for a couple of years. It is extremely healthy.

So, yesterday I decided I would put a couple more fish in there. I got a Yellow Tang and a Blue Hippo Tang. Both of these Tangs came from a friend and he has had them together for about 6 months or so. I put them in the tank about noon yesterday. After they were in the tank for about 2 hours I put some food in the tank and they were eating. Later in the evening I saw both of them and they were all over the place, enjoying the reef.

The lights came on today and they are no were to be found. Still, the Mandarin is alive and fine. I do not understand what might be killing healthy fish during the night??

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you may have some sort of a predatory hitchhiker in there. Maybe a mantis or some type of crab?

OP
OP
Reef Pets

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I was affraid of! Does anyone know af anything that I can do to get rid of a mantis? I have never heard a clicking sound but then again I dont hear very well.
The Mandarin lived with the other Tangs for 2+ years and it was never an issue. The Mandarin is extrmely friendly, great personality! If my hands are in the tank it wants to come see whats going in. It will eat froxun Brime from my hand.

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's crazy lucky! my mandarin hated me haha but they sell traps just google mantis trap or something

OP
OP
Reef Pets

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. I wish I would have known before 2 more great fish were killed!
I will look into it right away

OP
OP
Reef Pets

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a trap. I hope to catch watever it is!
Thanks guys/gals

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the lights are off tonight. Sneak up to the tank with a flashlight. You will probably see your predator. I had a 2-3 inch gorilla crab in my 29gal before and i have never seen it before. Then one night in the dark i used a flash light to check out my tank and was shocked at what i saw. A huge crab with red eyes staring at me!!! You will be surprised how some of these hitchhikers will fit in the holes in the rocks.

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT could be preditor but really hard to tell.

3 things that really take fish out and mantis would take more time to digest.

Whats used for water flow in there and do you know your ammonia reading?

OP
OP
Reef Pets

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the lights are off tonight. Sneak up to the tank with a flashlight. You will probably see your predator. I had a 2-3 inch gorilla crab in my 29gal before and i have never seen it before. Then one night in the dark i used a flash light to check out my tank and was shocked at what i saw. A huge crab with red eyes staring at me!!! You will be surprised how some of these hitchhikers will fit in the holes in the rocks.

I do this a couple times per week. I really enjoy look at the tank once the lights are out. The reef is completely different......

OP
OP
Reef Pets

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT could be preditor but really hard to tell.

3 things that really take fish out and mantis would take more time to digest.

Whats used for water flow in there and do you know your ammonia reading?

The ammonia is at 0. I use all Hydor Koralia 4 Pumps for water flow. I tested, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ph, Alk, Cal, Mag, Salinity and Iodine. All of the levels are in perfect range.

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TO much flow could be keeping him in a low flow area. Fresh water tanks need a bubbler and some water movement. TO much flow is just as bad as no flow.

OP
OP
Reef Pets

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were all over the tank all day and very active. The tangs I had before were in the same conditions and flow for over 2 years. I am thinking that I got something last time put a new coral in?

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dought a preditor small enough to hide killed 2 fish. They could be scared and hiding. DO you test you own water?
Still your tangs got used to your conditions over time these where expected to adjust over night.

Whats used for water flow?

Dr. Frag

The Megalodon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your mandarin will be fine, they have a chemical coating on there skin. mantis traps work good. It might be a green death brttle star though. they have a vorocios appitite.

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your mandarin will be fine, they have a chemical coating on there skin. mantis traps work good. It might be a green death brttle star though. they have a vorocios appitite.

That would certainly hide much more easily than a mantis, if it is a predator.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back