Dyno

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may have dyno, any suggestions on how to rid of it? The reason I think it’s dyno is is thin dark strands and it has air bubbles, when I told my LFS and as soon as I said small air bubbles he said dyno. He said I can try macro 7 something ? Never had to deal with dyno before so need sone help here please.

IMG_3886.jpeg IMG_3885.jpeg

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may have dyno, any suggestions on how to rid of it? The reason I think it’s dyno is is thin dark strands and it has air bubbles, when I told my LFS and as soon as I said small air bubbles he said dyno. He said I can try macro 7 something ? Never had to deal with dyno before so need sone help here please.

IMG_3886.jpeg IMG_3885.jpeg
Dino (dinoflagellates) do love bright lights, nice clean rock and nutrients on the surface of the rocks and they are one of the hardest pests to deal with. They are always in the tank and just look for the ideal conditions to flourish.

Best way to deal with them is to outcompete them by having coral mass on the rock.
If your tank is in the early stages you might want to dial down the lights. Also try to build up biofilm and that is where the suggestion of MicroBacter7 comes in.

Good luck,

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino (dinoflagellates) do love bright lights, nice clean rock and nutrients on the surface of the rocks and they are one of the hardest pests to deal with. They are always in the tank and just look for the ideal conditions to flourish.

Best way to deal with them is to outcompete them by having coral mass on the rock.
If your tank is in the early stages you might want to dial down the lights. Also try to build up biofilm and that is where the suggestion of MicroBacter7 comes in.

Good luck,
It’s an old tank not new, can you tell from the pics is that Dino? So is it a form of algae? What do you mean by coral mass. Appreciate the info and help.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an old tank not new, can you tell from the pics is that Dino? So is it a form of algae? What do you mean by coral mass. Appreciate the info and help.
It does look like Dinos but it is best to use microscope to identify.

If you want to read up on it:

They are motile unicellular algae.

They like bright light and will grow out of proportion on bare surfaces like rock or sand that is exposed to light. Since they are photosynthetic in low nutrient environments they can outcompete biofilm on those surfaces.

There is lot of information on R2R on Dinos and what to do, some of it is contradictory etc…
I had them once and I followed Fauna Marin guide on how to manage them and I have not seen them for 4 years.

Here is a link to the guide:

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They like bright light and will grow out of proportion on bare surfaces like rock or sand that is exposed to light. Since they are photosynthetic in low nutrient environments they can outcompete biofilm on those surfaces.

There is lot of information on R2R on Dinos and what to do, some of it is contradictory etc…
I had them once and I followed Fauna Marin guide on how to manage them and I have not seen them for 4 years.

When I was on phone with my LFS and told him air bubbles are in it he immediately said dyno. I’ll check that link out thanks

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With coral mass I mean the surfaces are covered with corals.
Here is an example:
1696119319391.jpeg

No place for Dinos to start.
Oh ok and yeah I’m trying but my corals don’t seem to grow that well or spread I have Zoas and they don’t seem to multiply for me .

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting article so sone quick things are turn up the heat, do a 3 day blackout, that’s easy enough. Unless I missed it I didn’t see anything about the micorbqcter7, but I did see it mention red x and Dino x, did you sue either of those?

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting article so sone quick things are turn up the heat, do a 3 day blackout, that’s easy enough. Unless I missed it I didn’t see anything about the micorbqcter7, but I did see it mention red x and Dino x, did you sue either of those?
Fauna Marin will promote their products but I did not use RedX or DinoX. I did not use MicroBacter7.
RedX and DinoX is to be used so you can make all the other adjustments. But if your outbreak is mild they are not required. They are not magic potion to make the problem disappear.

I did re-balance my Iodine, Flouride and Zinc. Also had to adjust NO3 and PO4…. and I followed the other steps.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fauna Marin will promote their products but I did not use RedX or DinoX. I did not use MicroBacter7.
RedX and DinoX is to be used so you can make all the other adjustments. But if your outbreak is mild they are not required. They are not magic potion to make the problem disappear.

I did re-balance my Iodine, Flouride and Zinc. Also had to adjust NO3 and PO4…. and I followed the other steps.
I see well for tonight killing the lights and turned up the heat guess I will do a blackout for 3 days as well. Hope my corals and anemone will be fine.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see well for tonight killing the lights and turned up the heat guess I will do a blackout for 3 days as well. Hope my corals and anemone will be fine.
Page 9 has things that will slow down the progress of Dino’s, but it will not stop it from recurring.
But the last item on that list “Live rock” that is best way to get beneficial bacteria into your reef.
100x better when compared to MicroBacter7.

Page 10 has the underlying cause and you will need ICP test to make corrections. My suggestion would be Fauna Marin Total ICP test.

Once you make those corrections I suspect your Zoa will grow as well. When corals are not growing 90% of the time there is water chemistry issues/imbalance.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Page 9 has things that will slow down the progress of Dino’s, but it will not stop it from recurring.
But the last item on that list “Live rock” that is best way to get beneficial bacteria into your reef.

Page 10 has the underlying cause and you will need ICP test to make corrections. My suggestion would be Fauna Marin Total ICP test.

Once you make those corrections I suspect your Zoa will grow as well. When corals are not growing 90% of the time there is water chemistry issues/imbalance.
I have live rock in there however it is old like 10 plus years is that an issue does the rock die and so how do I know it’s dead

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have live rock in there however it is old like 10 plus years is that an issue does the rock die and so how do I know it’s dead
I don’t think it dies, it just becomes stale/exhausted of the good things like bacteria. That is why it said fresh live rock and yes for some that is impossible, including myself.
But if you can get real fresh live rock that might solve your problem and that would be number one on my list.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it dies, it just becomes stale/exhausted of the good things like bacteria. That is why it said fresh live rock and yes for some that is impossible, including myself.
But if you can get real fresh live rock that might solve your problem and that would be number one on my list.
Why is it hard for you to get fresh live rock, don’t they sell it at LFS?

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it hard for you to get fresh live rock, don’t they sell it at LFS?
Nope, when I asked they laughed me out the store. I tried more than one. I emailed some as well they politely said no.
We are talking about real live rock.

I guess it has something to do with the import licenses and red tape that no one wants to do it. I am not from US.

But recently I found one store in the country that might actually have some and ship it, I just don’t need it.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, when I asked they laughed me out the store. I tried more than one. I emailed some as well they politely said no.
We are talking about real live rock.

I guess it has something to do with the import licenses and red tape that no one wants to do it. I am not from US.

But recently I found one store in the country that might actually have some and ship it, I just don’t need it.
My LFS has plenty of rock, so if I change out all my rock is it like I’m starting over so will I lose my corral and fish?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has plenty of rock, so if I change out all my rock is it like I’m starting over so will I lose my corral and fish?

"100x better when compared to MicroBacter7." How did you come to that conclusion?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't start with the nuclear option first. There are ways to deal with it without blowing up your tank. Dinos typically show up when there are limited nutrients in the water for other algae or bacteria to take root. It's very common in new, clean tanks because of that. What are your water parameters in regards to nitrates and phosphates?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I got rid of my dinos:
1. Stopped weekly water changes, and moved to bi-weekly.
2. Started overfeeding my fish by putting another feeding time in their schedule.
3. Added microbacter7 after water change, and once in between. Make sure to turn off the skimmer and UV unit for 1-2 hours.
4. Changed light schedule, whites didn't kick in until 2-3 pm, 11 on the weekends so that I could enjoy the tank.
5. Vacuum out the dinos into a suck without removing water from the tank: 2 times a week for about 5-10 minutes.
6. Turned down the skimmer setting. ( I have an oversized skimmer)

It took about a month, and they are gone. Try to maintain your nitrates at 10-20 ppm range. Your corals will love you. Don't start dosing nitrates thou, I recommend the feeding method.

Back