East Tennessee Parameters?

Coach63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank set up for about 2 months now and getting everything stable. I was wondering what are your ideal parameter values you try and keep here in East TN?

Want to start getting coral but want to make sure I have the correct parameters for this area and want to make sure I can keep them.

Thanks,
Mike

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank set up for about 2 months now and getting everything stable. I was wondering what are your ideal parameter values you try and keep here in East TN?

Want to start getting coral but want to make sure I have the correct parameters for this area and want to make sure I can keep them.

Thanks,
Mike

The parameters you aim for will not vary based on geographic location. For example, factors such as the quality of the source water may impact things like how often you will need to change filters and resins but the end product should still be the same. i.e. 0 TDS.

Now when it comes to water parameters you will find that as with almost everything in this hobby, experiences and opinions will vary. Here is what I keep my tank at and have been very happy with the progress.

Temp: 77-78
SG: 1.025
Alk: 8.0 dkh
Ca: 420
Mg: 1350-1400
NO3: 2 (only recently I have bumped this up slowly to 2 via dosing)
PO3: 0.01

This is all I test for. The key is that whatever levels you choose (as long as they are within the acceptable range), keep them stable. Stability is more important than chasing a specific number.

Cheers!

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia-0
NO2-o
NO3-5ppm
PO4-o.o4ppm
Ca-440
Alk- 8.5-9
Mg-1450
SG: 1.025

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have problems with salinity staying at 1.029. all corals seems happy and grow nicely: I personally have come to find that nitrite and ammonia are the ones that must be 0 (ish) and then every othere level may be a little high AS LONG AS IT STAYS CONSISTANT. Corals hate when your levels change everyday; so consistency is key

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite and ammonia must always be 0, no ish about it!

.001ppm ammonia is toxic and burns fish gills, with these both present you'd still be cycling lol.

This! I didn't even mention ammonia or nitrite in my post cos I assumed that anyone getting into the other parameters would know that those two have to be 0. 0-ish isn't going to cut it.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
casual-aggression-i-love-it-meme-42141.jpg

Reeflogic