Easy Corals?

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softies are easier starting corals also mushrooms and zoas. Some zoas are hardier then others some are known to melt easily when fragged.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consistency.

Organics in waste out: Skimmers, water changes, ATS..

Consistent maintenance, a hobbyist can not ignore the system for 3 months then think, ok I am going to catch up, all will be good.

Do not over stock, stock appropriate for the system, feed appropriately.

Water quality, get and maintain an RO/DI system.

Quarantine if you're going with a fish dominated system. Know your common disease/parasites and how to treat.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consistency.

Organics in waste out: Skimmers, water changes, ATS..

Consistent maintenance, a hobbyist can not ignore the system for 3 months then think, ok I am going to catch up, all will be good.

Do not over stock, stock appropriate for the system, feed appropriately.

Water quality, get and maintain an RO/DI system.

Quarantine if you're going with a fish dominated system. Know your common disease/parasites and how to treat.
All of this and a t5 lighting or led would be options I'd look at. It's better to spend on this then waste money buying cheap then having to buy another light. That goes for all equipment the better the equipment the better the return you get from it normally be it skimmer or light ect.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of this and a t5 lighting or led would be options I'd look at. It's better to spend on this then waste money buying cheap then having to buy another light. That goes for all equipment the better the equipment the better the return you get from it normally be it skimmer or light ect.

100% in agreement, make a plan and a budget. Buy quality the first time, avoid if able trying to get by with the cheapest equipment, there is a middle ground.

Ljmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's all about water quality. The city where I live loves to put so much nitrate and phos back into the tap water as part of the refining process that it is real hard to get it clean even with RO DI. I have to change my filters every two to three months max. Check and know water source well.

CoralFreak_350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Star Polyp, Xenia are all really hardy corals that require little to no attention and if the conditions are right will grow like weeds. I started with softies before moving on to those mentioned and they were hardy as well.

Abyssions

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softies like Toadstools, Green Starpolyps, Kenya Trees/Colts. Mushrooms are also easy and some lps corals.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would suggest staying away from these softies, as they can quickly overrun your tank: xenia, anthelia, blue cloves, certain mushrooms.

GSP is fine, but confine it to a "rock island" on the sand bed.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

• I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Other.

Back