Ecotech MP10 QD issues in 3 months WHAT!!

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO last night I took the wet side of my MP10 out of my tank and broke it down as per my maintenance and look what I found.

I've literately had this very expensive pump 3 months to date.

I've always maintained it bi-weekly and never needed to use any cleaners like citric acid or vinegar, just a plain soft bristle tooth brush and an eye glass fiber cloth with luke warm water.

Pictures for y'all and tell me but looking at them what do you think happened because I'm upset about this BIG time.

Also don't say user error because I assure you is isn't, and I can say I've been proactive from the start.

I'll explain if provoked lol

But seriously what is wrong with this picture?!

20230511_003538.jpg 20230511_003416.jpg 20230511_003510.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the most common issues with vortechs.

Send ecotech an email and return it for a warranty replacement.

Take the new wetside apart every month and clean it with a brush and citric acid then relube the ceramic shaft with some molykote 111.

I always put a big gob where the mag rides at the base of the shaft or it gets too hot and cracks like you experienced.

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the most common issues with vortechs.

Send ecotech an email and return it for a warranty replacement.

Take the new wetside apart every month and clean it with a brush and citric acid then relube the ceramic shaft with some molykote 111.

I always put a big gob where the mag rides at the base of the shaft or it gets too hot and cracks like you experienced.
Yup that was the first thing I did was ordering Molykote 111 a few weeks after getting the Vortech.

I reached out late last night to ecotech and got a reply this morning. I sent the pictures and invoice and Rex asked for a picture or the serial number on the backside of the controller.

He said that these newer pumps don't have the issue anymore and he verified that this is indeed the newer version. He asked if it made any odd noise when I first installed it and I told him yes it did and I immediately went to the website and found out you need to break them in slowly for a couple weeks and that's what I did. Even though I let it break in it's still had a noise and a slight vibration no matter how I adjusted it.

Anyways since I'm in Canada and it's like he said to avoid extra duty and shipping costs into Canada he put me in touch with the Canadian distributor and no questions asked they're sending me out a replacement wet side.

I was a little nervous after reading that Ecotech only warranty the dry side and not the wet. But yeah they were really good about it and basically I got everything resolved within an hour.

But you can see in that one photo how that ceramic sleeve started to distort and I thought something wasn't right right from the beginning.

But thanks for your the input and advice.. I'll definitely add more than what I was using previously for sure. Also believe it or not it was R2R where I got the info on what they use at the factory for the break-in lube before I even joined the site.

I paid an arm and a leg from Amazon here in Canada and I think it was around 50 bucks for a big tube but I don't need to worry about ever running out again.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup that was the first thing I did was ordering Molykote 111 a few weeks after getting the Vortech.

I reached out late last night to ecotech and got a reply this morning. I sent the pictures and invoice and Rex asked for a picture or the serial number on the backside of the controller.

He said that these newer pumps don't have the issue anymore and he verified that this is indeed the newer version. He asked if it made any odd noise when I first installed it and I told him yes it did and I immediately went to the website and found out you need to break them in slowly for a couple weeks and that's what I did. Even though I let it break in it's still had a noise and a slight vibration no matter how I adjusted it.

Anyways since I'm in Canada and it's like he said to avoid extra duty and shipping costs into Canada he put me in touch with the Canadian distributor and no questions asked they're sending me out a replacement wet side.

I was a little nervous after reading that Ecotech only warranty the dry side and not the wet. But yeah they were really good about it and basically I got everything resolved within an hour.

But you can see in that one photo how that ceramic sleeve started to distort and I thought something wasn't right right from the beginning.

But thanks for your the input and advice.. I'll definitely add more than what I was using previously for sure. Also believe it or not it was R2R where I got the info on what they use at the factory for the break-in lube before I even joined the site.

I paid an arm and a leg from Amazon here in Canada and I think it was around 50 bucks for a big tube but I don't need to worry about ever running out again.
Wow! Yeah the extra VAT charges ordering from out of the country can get pricey!

Fwiw its just food grade silicone grease.

Amazon sells a handful of different products that fit the bill.

Haynes being a cheap popular alternative.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The tube last you a really long time. It's a good vacuum grease too if you ever need to use it on O-rings for anything, I mean like for any O-rings for anything, literally. LOL

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tube last you a really long time. It's a good vacuum grease too if you ever need to use it on O-rings for anything, I mean like for any O-rings for anything, literally. LOL
Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

It also works great for dry RODI fittings!
A light coat on the tubing tip and it helps the tubing slide into the dry O-rings!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A light coat on the tubing tip and it helps the tubing slide into the dry O-rings!
Yes absolutely.
I use this stuff on the O-rings for downhold drilling when I was in that field. It helps seal all the drilling equipment when it's a mile or two down Underground and drilling getting up to crazy temperatures. Stuff is great.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Was going to say the exact same thing. We all have O-rings on our Ro/DI canisters, as well as media reactor canisters.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I've been running 2 mp10 and 3 mp40 for 4 or 5 years and have never seen this. I didn't know about lubing them. Also didn't know I was supposed to break them in. Guess I'm just lucky. Good that ecotech is taking take of it.
I've been running the same Mp10's for 10 years, never knew about breaking them in, or lubing them either. Only on their second set of wet sides too.

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I stumbled upon this a few days after playing with it.

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did buy a spare wet side a few weeks into getting the MP10 just to have a back up.. well I'll have 2 spare now :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

But honestly I hope the replacement doesn't have any issues. If so might be the dry side... dunno

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my spare wet sides has that ceramic coating cracked, and peeled a bit at the base to, I still use it without issue. I think my spares are my originals from 10 years ago.
Yeah i bought a used one years ago and was astonished that there should have been a ceramic sleeve over the grooved and bare stainless shaft that I was acustomed to :face-with-tears-of-joy:

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 87 42.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 102 49.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.4%
Back