EcoTech Vectra and Vortech firmware change to Mobius on June 1st

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
so I just bought Vectra M2 two in Dec or January and I don't have reeflink, what does this mean? Ecotech will neglect me?

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
so I just bought Vectra M2 two in Dec or January and I don't have reeflink, what does this mean? Ecotech will neglect me?
Did you bother to read the article?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Did you bother to read the article?
I did. It says that in the near future they will integrate devices who are compatible with ESL only to be able to integrate to mobius. That means it would still require people like me to spend more money to buy reeflink to use mobius. Don't you need reeflink to use ESL? Did I miss anything?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
I did. It says that in the near future they will integrate devices who are compatible with ESL only to be able to integrate to mobius. That means it would still require people like me to spend more money to buy reeflink to use mobius. Don't you need reeflink to use ESL? Did I miss anything?

Your Vectra is currently compatible with the Reeflink. You do not need Reeflink to run Mobius atall. The only thing required to run Mobius is the right wireless chip inside the controller. Which, if you purchased your pump after Novemberish 2018, you should already have. As mentioned in the article near the bottom, Ecotech will be releasing a firmware update for those without a Reeflink to begin running on the Mobius platform.

Last edited:

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Ecotech will be releasing a firmware update for those without a Reeflink to begin running on the Mobius platform.

Hopefully they learned from the Mobius/G5 rollout! ;Dead

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Your Vectra is currently compatible with the Reeflink. You do not need Reeflink to run Mobius atall. The only thing required to run Mobius is the right wireless chip inside the controller. Which, if you purchased your pump after Novemberish 2018, you should already have. As mentioned in the article near the bottom, Ecotech will be releasing a firmware update for those without a Reeflink to begin running on the Mobius platform.

I see. Thanks for clarifying

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I will bet my house that this is going to be a nightmare. I have older MPWQD's so it appears I cannot change programs after June 1 unless I buy the bluetooth chips?

And just before you ditch all your existing non-Mobius running EcoTech equipment, existing ESL firmware pumps will be upgradeable to Mobius in the near future, which is great to hear and will no doubt calm the anxiety of existing EcoTech owners who want all their gear to be as up to date and as feature-rich as possible.

This paragraph is hilarious. It sounds like to me without the bluetooth chip the pumps cannot be re-programmed. What about programming the time for daylight savings?

If I cannot use my existing setup ESL + Reeflink, then add mobius to my phone to change programs, my Vortechs and ReefLink are going in the garbage and Ecotech will never see my money again.

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I will bet my house that this is going to be a nightmare. I have older MPWQD's so it appears I cannot change programs after June 1 unless I buy the bluetooth chips?

This paragraph is hilarious. It sounds like to me without the bluetooth chip the pumps cannot be re-programmed. What about programming the time for daylight savings?

If I cannot use my existing setup ESL + Reeflink, then add mobius to my phone to change programs, my Vortechs and ReefLink are going in the garbage and Ecotech will never see my money again.
The article literally says nothing will change for existing devices and ESL/Reeflink will continue working.

I don’t understand why people ask these questions when the answers are in the article.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Seems these days if there's not a video to explain, folks just don't get it?

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I did read the article. I even quoted from it.

The context that things will work as before was with new pumps. I misinterpreted the rest where they changed to speaking about the existing ESL pumps.

In any case, that is good news :)

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Another question, so if my M2 that I purchased in December last year already comes with the chip, how do I download the new June firmware to be able to use it with Mobius? I don’t think I can connect it to wifi without reeflink.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Another question, so if my M2 that I purchased in December last year already comes with the chip, how do I download the new June firmware to be able to use it with Mobius? I don’t think I can connect it to wifi without reeflink.

It's already ready to go. You will need to download Mobius onto your phone, and it connects to the pump with bluetooth. Mobius is already up and running for Versa pumps and only Versa pumps. On June 1 they are expanding that to include Vectras and Vortechs that already have the bluetooth capable chips.

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
It's already ready to go. You will need to download Mobius onto your phone, and it connects to the pump with bluetooth. Mobius is already up and running for Versa pumps and only Versa pumps. On June 1 they are expanding that to include Vectras and Vortechs that already have the bluetooth capable chips.

According to the article, only the new Vectras and Vortechs fabricate from June 1 are the one that will be running on Mobius from now. They will eventually upgrade the existing compatible equipment in a near future. So don’t get too excited about this new, is only telling us they are moving now with the new equipment, then the rest will follow.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
According to the article, only the new Vectras and Vortechs fabricate from June 1 are the one that will be running on Mobius from now. They will eventually upgrade the existing compatible equipment in a near future. So don’t get too excited about this new, is only telling us they are moving now with the new equipment, then the rest will follow.

The article says they will make their products starting on June 1 with firmware installed.

I read some one said that products with newer manufacture dates already come with chip hardware installed.

Firmware vs hardware.

I hope someone from Ecotech can clarify this.

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
The article says they will make their products starting on June 1 with firmware installed.

I read some one said that products with newer manufacture dates already come with chip hardware installed.

Firmware vs hardware.

I hope someone from Ecotech can clarify this.

Direct copy from the article;

“And just before you ditch all your existing non-Mobius running EcoTech equipment, existing ESL firmware pumps will be upgradeable to Mobius in the near future, which is great to hear and will no doubt calm the anxiety of existing EcoTech owners who want all their gear to be as up to date and as feature-rich as possible”

They are referring here to the pumps that are compatible, those are going to be firmware upgradable to Mobius in a near future.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
An M2 should have the bluetooth capable chip in it already. I guess it is possible it also needs a firmware update in order to work with Mobius. This should be pretty straightforward though, whether it uses the Reeflink/rfid or the bluetooth/Mobius app to install the update doesn't really matter.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
An M2 should have the bluetooth capable chip in it already. I guess it is possible it also needs a firmware update in order to work with Mobius. This should be pretty straightforward though, whether it uses the Reeflink/rfid or the bluetooth/Mobius app to install the update doesn't really matter.

It does matter to me and many that doesn’t own reeflink as I don’t want to purchase reeflink just to install firmware

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Think I'll keep letting my Profilux 4 control everything. I just don't trust phone apps for that.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back