Elegance not fully opening??!!??!!

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,
I know that it is early in the morning & I have not had any coffee yet & my eyes still have sleep in them, but... It amost looks like you have flatworms on your coral. If that is what I see, I know that they bug the crap out of elegance corals...

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been feeding marine snow and kent vitamax (think thats what its called. at work so cant see the bottle). Should i use something diffent. and will it eat more solid foods?
They prefer meaty foods. Once the tentacles are sticky, feed Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, pieces of squid, chopped up silversides, etc. FWIW the bottled "Marine Snow" and KENT liquid "foods" pretty much just pollute your tank. They offer very little (if any) nutrition to the coral.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ahvrivera

ahvrivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,
I know that it is early in the morning & I have not had any coffee yet & my eyes still have sleep in them, but... It amost looks like you have flatworms on your coral. If that is what I see, I know that they bug the crap out of elegance corals...
It would be great if you could somehow point them out. I havent seen anything moving or different. Thanks for the eye.

OP
OP
ahvrivera

ahvrivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wel here are some pics from tonight. looking better but not quite there. it ate mysid today. cut a cube in half and fed it to the 2 larger mouths and gobbled it up. I really appreciate the input and concerns posted.
Picture760.jpg
Picture694.jpg
comparison pic
Flash
Picture723.jpg

And one i liked
Picture707.jpg

Last edited:

cntryboi407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. It definitely looks a little better than the original picks but its not quite back yet. Keep up the feedings. If the coral accepts it, I would do them daily.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be great if you could somehow point them out. I havent seen anything moving or different. Thanks for the eye.

The little brown thingies that are on your elegance look like flatworms to me. From the pics that I see, this coral might look a little better than it did, but trust me... It should be open a LOT more...
Flatworms dont move much unless you zap them with Flatworm Exit. I have used this product with no ill effects whatsoever..

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little brown thingies that are on your elegance look like flatworms to me.
I see what you're reffering to, but I suspect thats just part of the coloration on the oral disk, rather than flatworms as they don't appear very unform in shape. I've see the brown splotches in pigmentation many times on Elegance corals.

ahvrivera, do you see those little brown ovals on other corals or rocks?

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually you can find them on Mushrooms or Duncans... I have seen really bad outbreaks in some of my customers tanks.. They are pretty hard to spot on the rocks since they are almost transparant.. Can you try to touch one of the spots on the Elegance to see if it moves?

OP
OP
ahvrivera

ahvrivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ic what your talking about and in person its much different. its acctually pigmentation. Thanks for the look out tho i apprecuate it. I just fed it again today and hhoged it down again. polyp is musch bigger today but tentacles still not quite extended. thanks for the comments

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 99 44.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 76 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back