Eliminating Blue Clove Polyps with Fenbendazole

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago, I purchased a rock that had some beautiful Space Monster zoas on it. It also had some Blue Clove Polyp on it as well. I saw the BCP, I knew it was there, I really didn't worry about it at all because I had no idea what it could become.

Fast forward....its now everywhere. Its growing all over my zoas. All over the base of sps. In my refugium. Everywhere!

I was literally about to break down my entire tank, get clean frags of what I could off my existing rock, get all new rock, and start over. It sounded like a monstrous undertaking, but the problem was so bad I didn't see any other way.

I found a few articles/posts that talked about a product called "Fluke Tabs" that seemed to be able to get rid of the BCP. I finally had some hope...but that didn't last long. I learned that at some point this product became unavailable in the US, and I don't think its even being made anymore today. I continued my search.

I then found the following article by Max Draco where he explains the process he went through to find an alternative to Fluke Tabs. I can't thank him enough for both doing all the research to find a solution (which was pure genius), and most importantly documenting it for everyone. Without this article, I would probably be very unhappy right now.

About 1 week ago, I started the process. I followed Max's example very closely. I purchased this product here. I made 50+ gallons of salt water. I removed everything that I thought would die, serpent stars, snails, leather coral, etc. and stopped skimming and using carbon. I dosed 1mg of Fenbendazole per gallon of water to be treated. I waited a little over 72 hours and started skimming again. I added back the carbon and finally I did a large water change at one week (yesterday).

Amazingly, one week after my initial dose....there is not a single Blue Clove Polyp to be found anywhere in my system. Its unbelievable, but they're gone.

Also...I miscalculated initially and I bought way too much Fenbendazole. If anyone needs a packet with enough to treat 250 gallons for only a few dollars... just send me a PM.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics taken at 12 hours...they seem unaffected so far.
IMG_4114.JPG
IMG_4115.JPG
IMG_4120.JPG
IMG_4121.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back