Eliminating the Montipora eating nudibranch?

maethuu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found that these little monsters have been eating my rainbow monti. Its the only monti that i had in the tank and thankfully it was just a small frag. I have since fragged about 1" out of the 2.5" colony and have tossed the rest that I saw they were on. It seems like they were eating it from the outside in. I was wondering how aggressive I should tackle this issue. Ive just learn that they are the absolute worst hitchhiker. Should I do the dipping every other day as BRS recommends? Do they only live on the monti or are they now in the entire tank?

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping will help for sure. It would also bee worth thoroughly inspecting the piece for flatworm eggs as well. If you have space in your tank you could add a reef safe wrasse. I have three in my tank and I never have flatworms. (had them in the past but since I've introduced wrasses they've disappeared)

OP
OP
M

maethuu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a possum wrasse that should work right? Perfect little mouth for those little slugs. The only issue is that they seem to only come out during the night when the wrasse is sleeping. I'm hoping that the fragged piece will survive. I'll try to dip it a few times so see if that'll help. My idea is that they were under the plug and under the lips of the monti. I fragged the very center top piece that they hadn't gotten to. I think the most important piece will to inspect it for eggs since there doesn't be any signs of nudis. I'm wondering if refragging future montis when I get them will mitigate this issue. The piece looked fine and healthy when I got it and the nudis appeared 2-3 months in. At least enough to where I noticed the montis were being eaten.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah a possum wrasse should help and if you have a big enough tank a Halichoeres like a yellow wrasse would help too.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah a possum wrasse should help and if you have a big enough tank a Halichoeres like a yellow wrasse would help too.
would a six line work as well? i used to have a yellow wrasse, but it recently died on me so i got a 6line since they stay smaller.

i don’t have MEN’s but just as a precaution as i am looking to replace all of my livestock with utilitarian fish

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would a six line work as well? i used to have a yellow wrasse, but it recently died on me so i got a 6line since they stay smaller.

i don’t have MEN’s but just as a precaution as i am looking to replace all of my livestock with utilitarian fish
Sixlines have a bad reputation for being aggressive

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back