Emerald Crabs

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have personally had a large outbreak in a nano. After repeated attempts to get it under control with other methods, I got fed up and went on a popping rampage. I got all I could get out then I went to popping. After I pooped I would try and pull out the pieces of the algae. I had hundreds floating around in the tank. Then I took a few minutes to use a net and get the rest out. My algae went away.............

I dont understand the no popping either since the crabs do it.

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 of the red mithrix crabs in my 58gal. They've been in there for about a year now and I haven't had any problems with them.

crab-1.jpg

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i try to keep a very close eye on my emerald crabs, if they get too big or start to exhibit bad behavior...they have to go live with the mantis...who doesn't like roomates.

i tend to put in very small ones to help out with the bubble algae, but on a few occassions i have caught the larger ones start to attack soft corals, and about a year ago i even caught a large one killing my green slimer acro. just picking away at it causing it to STN.

and recently, i've started to notice several of my smaller emeralds start to hang out inside some of my sps colonies. and a month ago it looked like i had some sort of turfware going on b/w one emerald crab and his sps colony beside another sps colony inhabited by another emerald crab. i've kept my eye very close on both and so far no damage to the coral....but as soon as i see any they are going to be mantis snacks.

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have hardly any bubble algae anymore - but when I do see a random bubble pop up I just reach in and very carefully remove it. SOmetimes it pops and other times ir doesn't. I have remoced it before ny just ripping it out - and once it was gone it did not come back - except months later as a random bubble or so.
I think it is luck of the draw - I read somewhere it depends on the "life cycle" of the bubble. At times there are spores inside that if popped will release into the water - but anyother time it is harmless. Anyway just a theory I read.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 87 42.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 102 49.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.4%
Back