EMERGENCY! Is this velvet? Help with plan.

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is this velvet?
I woke up this morNing with one obviously sick WTB tang that is sick and hiding ate very little. I’m unable to get video. My blue throat rigger is acting off ate but is diving in to be cleaned by Blood shrimp. On video the the spots and dusting appears wit more clarity. Looking for a game plan please. There have been no additions to the my DT other than a few corals that were dipped from one of the largest coral suppliers A couple weeks ago. Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Is this velvet?
I woke up this morNing with one obviously sick WTB tang that is sick and hiding ate very little. I’m unable to get video. My blue throat rigger is acting off ate but is diving in to be cleaned by Blood shrimp. On video the the spots and dusting appears wit more clarity. Looking for a game plan please. There have been no additions to the my DT other than a few corals that were dipped from one of the largest coral suppliers A couple weeks ago. Thanks

Based on size of dots, it does appear to be ich. In the future, please provide good white lighting for pics and video. There was also reflection from room making it hard to see but yet a very good video
Ich and velvet treat nearly the same.
You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from 2nd hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on size of dots, it does appear to be ich. In the future, please provide good white lighting for pics and video. There was also reflection from room making it hard to see but yet a very good video
Ich and velvet treat nearly the same.
You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from 2nd hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
I’m going to make another video. The Tang that is the sickest is the same fish you helped with several weeks back. I have everything mentioned above. I’m going to get video now. Please let me know what you think shortly.

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to make another video. The Tang that is the sickest is the same fish you helped with several weeks back. I have everything mentioned above. I’m going to get video now. Please let me know what you think shortly.

tang video trigger coming next. Also, see if you see the odd discoloration on back tail almost looks like yellow circles. thanks

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

tang video trigger coming next. Also, see if you see the odd discoloration on back tail almost looks like yellow circles. thanks

Your white tail tang and with new video trigger is showing what is more velvet. Typical symptoms not showing such as
scratching body against hard objects, Fish is lethargic opposed to how active yours are, loss of appetite and weight loss, Rapid, labored breathing, lamped fins, and generally fish with velvet will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium. The treatment mentioned for ich will also work for velvet.

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your white tail tang and with new video trigger is showing what is more velvet. Typical symptoms not showing such as
scratching body against hard objects, Fish is lethargic opposed to how active yours are, loss of appetite and weight loss, Rapid, labored breathing, lamped fins, and generally fish with velvet will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium. The treatment mentioned for ich will also work for velvet.
Ok, now the question is; is this most likely going to just spread from fish to fish even pulling these two guys out to QT hospital tank and treating? I’m trying to decide am I fighting a losing battle and better off pulling corals and treating display tank???

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pulling the fish and putting them all into hospital tanks is aboslutely the best way including leaving the tank fallow for 8 weeks.

There is an intank treatment that will require a doser and UV but has been proven really effective.

You basically dose H202 throughout the day for 9 weeks. It kills the free swimming stages. If you have a doser and a UV and dont want to set up the hospital tank its a good method.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok, now the question is; is this most likely going to just spread from fish to fish even pulling these two guys out to QT hospital tank and treating? I’m trying to decide am I fighting a losing battle and better off pulling corals and treating display tank???
Do not treat display but as mentioned, place fish (all) in quarantine and leave display tank fishless for 6-8 weeks. This will disrupt and stop life cycle of velvet which is flagellates and ich life cycles without a host fish. Invers/coral are fine in display during this period. UV will not stop this issue as it only addresses what is free floating and not pre-existing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like what I call "stale ich", where fish have had ich long enough that the skin produces a mucus reaction that makes the individual spots more difficult to see. True velvet would cause the fish to breath super fast and cause them to hover in the water flow. Spots are not evident with true velvet, just a glassy cast to the eyes and sometimes, at the very end, a white cast to the fish - velvet mostly involves the gills.

If the fish are still eating, then it is pretty much assuredly ich.

One thing is a bit odd. In the first video, there was a split second view of a clownfish - that looked to have mucus hanging off its fins (I couldn't tell for certain). If so, that is more a sign of Brooklynella.

As far as a treatment - that's a tough call. I didn't see a huge number of corals in the tank. You could move the them out and treat the whole tank with hyposalinity. Conversely, the standard treatment is as said - pull all of the fish, move them to a quarantine tank and treat with coppersafe for 30 days, then hold them there until the tank has gone at least 60 days with no fish in it. That is tough to do if you don't have a stable quarantine tank already up and running.

Ich management, using peroxide as one adjunct will most likely fail in this case due to the advanced state of the infection.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
New video in Copper.

White tail is in high distress and breathing very heavy as gills may be infected. Normally I would suggest a 5 min freshwater dip but with its breathing may make matters worse. If you added aeration with air stone, see what happens as it appears also to have bacterial issue around the mouth area.

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White tail is in high distress and breathing very heavy as gills may be infected. Normally I would suggest a 5 min freshwater dip but with its breathing may make matters worse. If you added aeration with air stone, see what happens as it appears also to have bacterial issue around the mouth area.
I do have air stone going. thank you.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New video in Copper.

Fingers crossed - copper takes about three days to start to work and the tang is in a real bad way.
Jay

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this attached to PVC pipe? It’s my small hospital tank Copper 2.0 for yellow coris, Red velvet fairy, Midas, Diamond goby. Also, should the diamond be in this tank with 2.0 or my other tank with Tang, Trigger, Coral beauty and lawnmower at 2.25-2.50ppm? Thanks.

I did lose both clowns this morning, Trigger and Tang are worse today.

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update (still wondering about above video too). I lost the Trigger and Tang a few minutes ago. I now have a small lawnmower and Coral beauty in a 40g tank at 2.25-2.50ppm. My smaller 10g has the Midas, 2 wrasses and a diamond at 2.0ppm. Is it feasible to combine them in the 40G or do I need to keep separate? If I can combine what should I do with my copper level? Thanks

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Another update (still wondering about above video too). I lost the Trigger and Tang a few minutes ago. I now have a small lawnmower and Coral beauty in a 40g tank at 2.25-2.50ppm. My smaller 10g has the Midas, 2 wrasses and a diamond at 2.0ppm. Is it feasible to combine them in the 40G or do I need to keep separate? If I can combine what should I do with my copper level? Thanks
the slime looks like a mucus coating or weebing often that wrasses produce. Dont believe its bacterial.
Sorry to hear of losses as tang in particular looked very rough. Assuming the 40b has no issues or sick fish- can be combined

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the slime looks like a mucus coating or weebing often that wrasses produce. Dont believe its bacterial.
Sorry to hear of losses as tang in particular looked very rough. Assuming the 40b has no issues or sick fish- can be combined
The Biota YT is in the tank on the left next to the two copper hospital tanks. Do I need to move this to another room or am I ok? Thanks. I don’t see anything on the CB or lawnmower in the 40G but I just don‘t know. It would be easier to have all in the 40G and I’m sure the other would like to get out of a 10G but i don‘t want to screw anything up. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3540.jpeg
    IMG_3540.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 16

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All of those fish are fine in coppersafe or copper power at 2.5 ppm, as long as it is tested with a proper test kit (the Hanna meter works best).

In fact, 2 ppm sometimes does not stop really advanced ich infections.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this attached to PVC pipe? It’s my small hospital tank Copper 2.0 for yellow coris, Red velvet fairy, Midas, Diamond goby. Also, should the diamond be in this tank with 2.0 or my other tank with Tang, Trigger, Coral beauty and lawnmower at 2.25-2.50ppm? Thanks.

I did lose both clowns this morning, Trigger and Tang are worse today.

That looks like a bacterial slime. Rare to see it in a QT, but you can just siphon it out.

Edit: I see @vetteguy53081 hypothesized this could be wrasse slime, I agree.

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back