Emerging From The Shadows

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Greetings, All! I figured that, given all of my recent activity here over the last few days, I should probably get around to introducing myself. My name is Matt, aka "Fish Styx", and while I am technically new here, I've actually been around since 2020, lurking like a creeper in the shadows. I'm a native New Yorker, born in Queens and later a Brooklyn transplant, though I've been gone from the city since 2005 when I left for the army. These days, I'm a denizen of the beltway on the Maryland side of the DC metro, where I am a member of WAMAS (Washington Area Marine Aquarist Society). Truth be told, however, I'm not terribly active there either. I can be a bit reclusive at times.

Having been gifted my first aquarium on my tenth birthday, I have been in the hobby, with a few breaks, for the past 35 years. I made the switch to the darkside (aka saltwater) in 2009 after a 21 month stint at Walter Reed (I was badly messed up in Iraq) that resulted in my being medically retired from the military. Since "crossing over", I haven't looked back. Back then, I was a pretty active member on another reef centric <ahem> forum, but left in 2014 because the community just got way too toxic.

Around the same time (2014) I had to tear down my system and sell off the majority of my gear due to an ugly divorce. That resulted in me being tankless for a few years while I pieced my life back together (again). Fast forward a few years and I have purchased a home (2017), remarried (2019), and gotten back into the hobby (2020). My current system is a Planet Aquariums Mega Matrix 180 (build thread coming) that has been wet since 2021 and is finally ready for SPS, which was the intent behind the build. That brings us to present day. If you want to put a face to the name, a pic of my ugly mug is attached. I look forward to being an active member here, offering advice when and where I can, and learning from the plethora of resident experts here, as I'm sure I will need to pick your brains from time to time.

Namaste.

FB_IMG_1675905481924.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Greetings, All! I figured that, given all of my recent activity here over the last few days, I should probably get around to introducing myself. My name is Matt, aka "Fish Styx", and while I am technically new here, I've actually been around since 2020, lurking like a creeper in the shadows. I'm a native New Yorker, born in Queens and later a Brooklyn transplant, though I've been gone from the city since 2005 when I left for the army. These days, I'm a denizen of the beltway on the Maryland side of the DC metro, where I am a member of WAMAS (Washington Area Marine Aquarist Society). Truth be told, however, I'm not terribly active there either. I can be a bit reclusive at times.

Having been gifted my first aquarium on my tenth birthday, I have been in the hobby, with a few breaks, for the past 35 years. I made the switch to the darkside (aka saltwater) in 2009 after a 21 month stint at Walter Reed (I was badly messed up in Iraq) that resulted in my being medically retired from the military. Since "crossing over", I haven't looked back. Back then, I was a pretty active member on another reef centric <ahem> forum, but left in 2014 because the community just got way too toxic.

Around the same time (2014) I had to tear down my system and sell off the majority of my gear due to an ugly divorce. That resulted in me being tankless for a few years while I pieced my life back together (again). Fast forward a few years and I have purchased a home (2017), remarried (2019), and gotten back into the hobby (2020). My current system is a Planet Aquariums Mega Matrix 180 (build thread coming) that has been wet since 2021 and is finally ready for SPS, which was the intent behind the build. That brings us to present day. If you want to put a face to the name, a pic of my ugly mug is attached. I look forward to being an active member here, offering advice when and where I can, and learning from the plethora of resident experts here, as I'm sure I will need to pick your brains from time to time.

Namaste.

FB_IMG_1675905481924.jpg
Welcome to Reef2Reef! It sounds like you bring a wealth of experience with you. Glad you're here!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure but I think you might be the first to come out of the lurking closet and post a picture of yourself when introducing oneself?

I put a picture of me in my Icon but I think most people hide out for fear of being recognized at the lfs? I have met one Guy on here at a lfs in Huntington Beach and he was chatting with the clerk and I “guessed” his Reef2Reef screen name before I struck up a conversation to investigate my hunch re ID.
Most people on here are really nice people but they can have some deep clashes of opinions and occasional those posts look a lot like that/ those other reef sites where the dialogue runs like Jaws chasing Flipper.

Well I forgot what else I was going to spew out as a welcoming chum line for your participation in the Reef2Reef website and I am glad you are jumping aboard the board to participate in the coolest site for reef keepers, how’s about aGIF

Alabama Basketball Roll Tide GIF by The University of Alabama

Or maybe this one:
shark attack jaws GIF

Welcome Aboard!

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not sure but I think you might be the first to come out of the lurking closet and post a picture of yourself when introducing oneself?

I put a picture of me in my Icon but I think most people hide out for fear of being recognized at the lfs? I have met one Guy on here at a lfs in Huntington Beach and he was chatting with the clerk and I “guessed” his Reef2Reef screen name before I struck up a conversation to investigate my hunch re ID.
Most people on here are really nice people but they can have some deep clashes of opinions and occasional those posts look a lot like that/ those other reef sites where the dialogue runs like Jaws chasing Flipper.

Well I forgot what else I was going to spew out as a welcoming chum line for your participation in the Reef2Reef website and I am glad you are jumping aboard the board to participate in the coolest site for reef keepers, how’s about aGIF

Alabama Basketball Roll Tide GIF by The University of Alabama

Or maybe this one:
shark attack jaws GIF

Welcome Aboard!
Hahahaha. Well, hopefully nobody tries to beat me up at the LFS. Though I'm 6'4" and 275 lbs, so more often than not that serves as a deterrent. lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back