Emperor angel going on seven months with swim bladder, erratic swimming

TTTony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try to get some attention to help this fish very healthy otherwise eating everything pellets frozen Nore krill flakes unfortunately I cannot upload a video it seems but the fish does have a large midsection swollen issue like it swallowed a bobber tried focus, metroplex, and kanoplex all unsuccessful

also prazi pro and copper initially

fish is extremely healthy otherwise

Attachments

• IMG_9798.MOV
    7.4 MB
OP
OP
TTTony

TTTony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try to get some attention to help this fish very healthy otherwise eating everything pellets frozen Nore krill flakes unfortunately I cannot upload a video it seems but the fish does have a large midsection swollen issue like it swallowed a bobber tried focus, metroplex, and kanoplex all unsuccessful

also prazi pro and copper initially

fish is extremely healthy otherwise

Attachments

• A042D38A-153E-42A0-9FE2-B160286CF47E.jpeg
    A042D38A-153E-42A0-9FE2-B160286CF47E.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 30

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted on your other thread asking for a video.....

The angel does not appear to have floatation issues, so you can rule out gas in the gut or the swim bladder. In both of those cases, when the fish stops actively swimming, it will start to rise in the water column. In addition, the fish will swim head down to try and offset the extra buoyancy. I don't see any indication of that here. That means the "bump" isn't gas, it is either a solid mass or liquid. Fish with liver or kidney failure develop ascites (fluid in their abdomen). That looks different than this. - more generally protruding, less localized like this is. That pretty much just leaves some sort of growth or tumor. There isn't any treatment for that of course, but if it isn't malignant, the fish may live for quite some time.

Jay

OP
OP
TTTony

TTTony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The angel does not appear to have floatation issues, so you can rule out gas in the gut or the swim bladder. In both of those cases, when the fish stops actively swimming, it will start to rise in the water column. In addition, the fish will swim head down to try and offset the extra buoyancy. I don't see any indication of that here. That means the "bump" isn't gas, it is either a solid mass or liquid. Fish with liver or kidney failure develop ascites (fluid in their abdomen). That looks different than this. - more generally protruding, less localized like this is. That pretty much just leaves some sort of growth or tumor. There isn't any treatment for that of course, but if it isn't malignant, the fish may live for quite some time.

Jay
Thanks I have a four second video which shows the erratic swimming pattern , The fish is constantly trying to stay down but I cannot figure a way to upload it yet

thank you very much for your response I didn’t think it is spreadable but I’m trying to remedy the fish if I can

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks I have a four second video which shows the erratic swimming pattern , The fish is constantly trying to stay down but I cannot figure a way to upload it yet

thank you very much for your response I didn’t think it is spreadable but I’m trying to remedy the fish if I can

Weird! Both videos are the same, but the second one more clearly shows the fish has a buoyancy issue - it didn't look like that on my phone when I viewed it earlier. So sorry, lets go back to a gas inflation issue -

Here is an excerpt from my fish disease book, not a lot of treatment options I'm afraid:

Idiopathic gas bladder disease

Some fish, (mostly bottom dwellers like blennies and gobies) lack a gas bladder. In fish that do possess them, there are two types; physostomous fish and physoclistous. Fish species with physostomous swim bladders have a direct connection between the bladder and their digestive system. These species can inflate and deflate their gas bladder by ingesting or “burping” air. Fish with physoclistous swim bladders lack a connection between the bladder and the digestive tract so they must diffuse gas from the blood to fill and collapse the bladder. This process takes more time, so physoclistic fish have more difficulty quickly reacting to changing water pressure. Examples of physostomous fish include; bichirs, gars, some minnow, trout, herring, catfish, eels and lungfish.

In some cases, long-term captive fish (usually marine species) develop positive buoyancy for no discernable reason. Symptoms include a bloated abdomen, and the fish will struggle to maintain position in the water column. Treating the symptoms, by either withdrawing the excess gas from the gas bladder with a syringe, or using a pressure chamber, will alleviate the symptoms temporarily, but since the root cause is unknown, the symptoms typically reoccur. In these cases, euthanasia is usually the only option.

Many aquarists add Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) to the aquarium’s water – do not do this in marine aquariums, its use is primarily as a tonic/dip for freshwater fish. Seawater formulas already contain between 7 and 19 grams of magnesium sulfate per gallon (depending on the recipe). NSW magnesium level is around 1200 ppm and sulfur is around 840 ppm. Some benefit might be seen using it as a dip in additional concentrations, but adding a small amount to a marine aquarium itself has no benefit.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay
Could it be egg bound?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I agree looks like bladder or liver issue and the third one ive seen in 8 days which is bizarre

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be egg bound?
That’s an option, but I revised my opinion after I watched the video on my desktop computer - it does seem to have a buoyancy issue which implies gas, not solid material as I had first said.
Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back