Engineer Goby

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to make a post about my engineer goby, Squirt! Shes one of my favorite fish and I think these guys get a bad rap. Shes never harmed anything in my tank with her digging, I just made sure my support rocks were super solid! Shes a fun fish and I got her when she was tiny! Shes huge now. First two pictures are of her from today, the others show her growth!! Love this fish

IMG_2120.jpeg IMG_2122.jpeg IMG_0687.jpeg IMG_0688.jpeg IMG_0922.jpeg IMG_0930.jpeg IMG_1018.jpeg IMG_1116.jpeg IMG_1114.jpeg IMG_1151.jpeg

underwaterjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen these guys for sale but never bought one. I saw a tank of them at the shedd aquarium in Chicago and knew I didn’t have enough room for them. The ones at the shedd were huge!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen these guys for sale but never bought one. I saw a tank of them at the shedd aquarium in Chicago and knew I didn’t have enough room for them. The ones at the shedd were huge!
They actually dont need huge tanks, this girl is in my 70. Shes more eel like in that she builds a cave and just pokes her head out. She occasionally will come out to swim and get food but she prefers to watch from her little home!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actually dont need huge tanks, this girl is in my 70. Shes more eel like in that she builds a cave and just pokes her head out. She occasionally will come out to swim and get food but she prefers to watch from her little home!
Squirt would have a field day in my tank... is she a jumper?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Squirt would have a field day in my tank... is she a jumper?
No shes not! Ive never seen her do anything other than swim along the bottom or hide! Shes never gone near the surface of the water haha

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No shes not! Ive never seen her do anything other than swim along the bottom or hide! Shes never gone near the surface of the water haha
Might have to get one then next time my LFS gets them in. I know where mine would take up residence (just not sure the two dottybacks would be fans).

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have to get one then next time my LFS gets them in. I know where mine would take up residence (just not sure the two dottybacks would be fans).
Well when she outgrows the dottybacks they would be forced to move out haha! Squirt actually makes caves for other fish in my tank! She made one for comet my marine betta and my dwarf angelfish so far. A watchmen goby also shares with her

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well when she outgrows the dottybacks they would be forced to move out haha! Squirt actually makes caves for other fish in my tank! She made one for comet my marine betta and my dwarf angelfish so far. A watchmen goby also shares with her
There is already quite an elaborate tunnel system under one rock shelf (which a black sea cumber is currently exploring), so I suspect minimal "improvements" would be needed. It's actually a perfect eel lair (if I ever decided to get an eel, that is).

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is already quite an elaborate tunnel system under one rock shelf (which a black sea cumber is currently exploring), so I suspect minimal "improvements" would be needed. It's actually a perfect eel lair (if I ever decided to get an eel, that is).
Right! I got her cause she looks like an eel! But she does a good job cleaning the sand. My sand is pretty in her tank, horrible in my bigger tank

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your engineer goby is still relatively small. I have three that are almost a foot long each in my tank and they have buried plenty of corals. I have completely given up on keeping a flat sandbed.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your engineer goby is still relatively small. I have three that are almost a foot long each in my tank and they have buried plenty of corals. I have completely given up on keeping a flat sandbed.
Yeah shes not a year get, still black and white, hasnt turned to her blue coloring yet! I love seeing how big she gets every time she comes out of her hole!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back