"Engineering" question

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had to rearrange my lights to cover my new tank set up. I have a wooden frame built to hold three lights, FHO, 48 inches long. Plastic casing, fairly light weight.

My brackets (2) on the wall are 9 inches against the wall put into studs, three screws eac. The length out from the wall is 18 inches.
This leaves about 30 inches of light hanging out with no real support. I'm wondering if what I have will be enough to keep them steady. The brackets are super heavy duty, really thick. The wood frame is built of 2x2, screws and wood glue.

If I had to guess the actual lights and frame are probably about 7 pounds or less each.

Will this be sufficient to hold the up the lights? Or should I try and find a way to run a secondary brace. I will say I am *severely* limited by wall space. And I mean severely. But I can try and work something out if you guys think this won't be enough.

I've attached a sketch to help with the visual.

light frame.jpg

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had to rearrange my lights to cover my new tank set up. I have a wooden frame built to hold three lights, FHO, 48 inches long. Plastic casing, fairly light weight.

My brackets (2) on the wall are 9 inches against the wall put into studs, three screws eac. The length out from the wall is 18 inches.
This leaves about 30 inches of light hanging out with no real support. I'm wondering if what I have will be enough to keep them steady. The brackets are super heavy duty, really thick. The wood frame is built of 2x2, screws and wood glue.

If I had to guess the actual lights and frame are probably about 7 pounds or less each.

Will this be sufficient to hold the up the lights? Or should I try and find a way to run a secondary brace. I will say I am *severely* limited by wall space. And I mean severely. But I can try and work something out if you guys think this won't be enough.

I've attached a sketch to help with the visual.

light frame.jpg
I would construct it like this. A triangle shaped brace on each corner (or preferably every 12 inches) and wire hangers on each corner of the housing going to the wall. The concern is if something bumps the edges, that’s a lot of leverage on a small point of contact. With wire braces, it cannot flex.

4859CC48-9499-43DF-965E-3F4D8C56E81E.png

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would also be better to use 45° angles. With a 45° angle, you get the most contact area with both wall and shelf. More contact area spreads out the force per square inch.

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to do this but there isn't enough wall height.

I don't want any kind of rim, I don't mind seeing the lights I mean I'm going to see them from above anyhow.

I would construct it like this. A triangle shaped brace on each corner (or preferably every 12 inches) and wire hangers on each corner of the housing going to the wall. The concern is if something bumps the edges, that’s a lot of leverage on a small point of contact. With wire braces, it cannot flex.

4859CC48-9499-43DF-965E-3F4D8C56E81E.png

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would also be better to use 45° angles. With a 45° angle, you get the most contact area with both wall and shelf. More contact area spreads out the force per square inch.

Again, limited wall space is my issue. If I do it from the bottom up, I'll be hitting the bar. And I can't do it from the top down because the wall isn't tall enough. If it were I'd use eye bolts and chains for additional support.

But I guess this means I have to have something huh?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since there’s wall space, you could hang it 6-12 inches above the housing. If there’s still too little space, hang it from the ceiling.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the bracket was say 12" inches longer I'd say go for it, but only 9" with 30" still unsupported, I'm thinking over time it's going to sag and be unstable. The bracket is definitely strong enough especially if you're drilling into studs, it's the leverage that causes my concern. I'd want at least 1/2 the width of the frame supported by the bracket.

24" brackets

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since there’s wall space, you could hang it 6-12 inches above the housing. If there’s still too little space, hang it from the ceiling.

6-12 from the housing?

While there is plenty of space going up, my ceiling is A framed shape and far beyond my reach even on a step ladder.

I think I might have the issue solved. Had the domestic partner go over it for me and he felt it was fine like it was, but just in case we'll use two more brackets.

Then if there is still any kind of bounce I'll look into borrowing a ladder.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6-12 from the housing?

While there is plenty of space going up, my ceiling is A framed shape and far beyond my reach even on a step ladder.

I think I might have the issue solved. Had the domestic partner go over it for me and he felt it was fine like it was, but just in case we'll use two more brackets.

Then if there is still any kind of bounce I'll look into borrowing a ladder.
Why can’t you connect it to the wall behind the housing? It can’t be that much higher. I was saying 6-12 inches above the housing not feet LOL

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you take a picture of it? From the side and front. Can throw all kinds of ideas at you, but without at least a visual to go off of then it’s like playing darts in the dark.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back