Epoxy/glue and overflowing skimmer

kmwcane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I mounted (using BRS glue and epoxy) 9 corals about 10 days ago now and my skimmer is still overflowing. I performed my normal 10% water change 2 days ago but the skimmer is still overflowing. Do I just need to let the skimmer run until it stops overflowing and just deal with all of the microbubbles? Prior to this, the skimmer had been working fine (outside of the break-in period when I first purchased it in February).

FYI - I turned the skimmer completely off for 3 days and I still have the overflow issue.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
I experience a similar issue when I mount frags using Oceans Wonders CORALLINE PURPLE reef safe epoxy. This stuff makes my skimmer go bonkers. Since I use a DC pump powering my skimmer I dial it down between 30 and 40% for a couple days until it stops. This way I'm still getting some skimmer action and oxygenation. It works for me at least and the only solution other than turning it off.

OP
OP
kmwcane

kmwcane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experience a similar issue when I mount frags using Oceans Wonders CORALLINE PURPLE reef safe epoxy. This stuff makes my skimmer go bonkers. Since I use a DC pump powering my skimmer I dial it down between 30 and 40% for a couple days until it stops. This way I'm still getting some skimmer action and oxygenation. It works for me at least and the only solution other than turning it off.

Thanks for the reply.

I left out one key piece of info in my OP; I turned the skimmer completely off for about 3 days and I still had the overflow issue.

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried to dial the skimmer back to see if it will stop overflowing? I've had the same problem with past skimmers and always just opened the gate valve, slowed the DC pump motor, raised the cup (for smaller skimmers), let it skim until it doesn't create skimmate, at that setting, then dial it back up again.

OP
OP
kmwcane

kmwcane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried to dial the skimmer back to see if it will stop overflowing? I've had the same problem with past skimmers and always just opened the gate valve, slowed the DC pump motor, raised the cup (for smaller skimmers), let it skim until it doesn't create skimmate, at that setting, then dial it back up again.

I've dialed it back all the way and still overflowing.

I have a Red Sea RSK-300 skimmer - important information that I should have out in the OP - and it does not have a DC pump so I have no ability to slow the pump motor unfortunately.

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dialed it back all the way and still overflowing.

I have a Red Sea RSK-300 skimmer - important information that I should have out in the OP - and it does not have a DC pump so I have no ability to slow the pump motor unfortunately.
See if the air line and the venturi are free of any blockage. It may be unrelated and you just have something blocking the airflow. running some carbon might help. Sometimes I'll just run the skimmer with the drain line on the skimmer cup and let it overflow until it starts to get low enough that it functions well again.

OP
OP
kmwcane

kmwcane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if the air line and the venturi are free of any blockage. It may be unrelated and you just have something blocking the airflow. running some carbon might help. Sometimes I'll just run the skimmer with the drain line on the skimmer cup and let it overflow until it starts to get low enough that it functions well again.

I had not thought of blockage issues, thank you! I had some pineapple sponges that have populated my sump so it is certainly possible that some have gotten into the skimmer as I have seen some of these creatures floating around in the sump and display.

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say an airline blockage would have the opposite effect and prevent bubble production, wouldn't it? That said, trying reducing the airflow somehow until things settle down.

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I was the only one! My skimmer is going nuts after using about 3/4 of this. It’s been two days now. What was your solution? Help!

E3BB7211-3DEE-470A-B374-5FB1AE1A189B.jpeg

OP
OP
kmwcane

kmwcane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I was the only one! My skimmer is going nuts after using about 3/4 of this. It’s been two days now. What was your solution? Help!

E3BB7211-3DEE-470A-B374-5FB1AE1A189B.jpeg

My solution was to unplug the skimmer and wait till it stopped overflowing... it finally returned to working normally after 13 days of testing it out each day. I wish I had more insight to offer.

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My solution was to unplug the skimmer and wait till it stopped overflowing... it finally returned to working normally after 13 days of testing it out each day. I wish I had more insight to offer.
I was thinking about doing that big water change? Didn’t you say you did that and it did nothing? Thanks for your reply by the way!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back